Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Borders

I've tried everything I can find but cannot add borders to the cells in a simple spreadsheet. I did (or think I did) what Helps says and viewed tutorials to no effect. I can make, for instance, the "window pane" borders appear on the interior cells but when I try to add a border around the whole thing, the interior borders disappear. Thank you

MacBook Pro 15 in (early 2011)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 250G, 500G, 1T Ext HDs; FCE HD 4.0.1; CS 5

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 12:25 PM

Border choices are an either-or choice for the selected group of cells.

The two choices to the right will apply borders to the external frame of the group OR the internal borders of the group.

For the result in the image, use the directions below:

User uploaded file

Open the Table Inspector.

Select cell B2.

In the Inspector:

• Click the last button to the right (all outside borders)

• Click the pop-up menu ('Thin") and choose a border style.

• Set the stroke thickness using the stepper, or by typing the size into the box.

• Click the Color Well then choose a colour.

Results should be as below:

User uploaded file

With B2 still selected:

• Press option-command-C (ie. hold down the option and command keys, then tap the C key) to Copy Style*

• Press shift and Click on cell C7 to expand the selection to B2:C7 **

• Press option-command-V to Paste Style

Result will be as shown in first image.

Regards,

Barry

* Copy Style and Paste Style are also found in the Format menu.

** If the cells are empty, you can also drag the Fill control (small circle at bottom right of selection) to expand the selection. Not a useful step if there is data in the cells though, as this will also Fill the data or formula down the column(s) or right along the row(s)

B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Dr. Dave

Border choices are an either-or choice for the selected group of cells.

The two choices to the right will apply borders to the external frame of the group OR the internal borders of the group.

For the result in the image, use the directions below:

User uploaded file

Open the Table Inspector.

Select cell B2.

In the Inspector:

• Click the last button to the right (all outside borders)

• Click the pop-up menu ('Thin") and choose a border style.

• Set the stroke thickness using the stepper, or by typing the size into the box.

• Click the Color Well then choose a colour.

Results should be as below:

User uploaded file

With B2 still selected:

• Press option-command-C (ie. hold down the option and command keys, then tap the C key) to Copy Style*

• Press shift and Click on cell C7 to expand the selection to B2:C7 **

• Press option-command-V to Paste Style

Result will be as shown in first image.

Regards,

Barry

* Copy Style and Paste Style are also found in the Format menu.

** If the cells are empty, you can also drag the Fill control (small circle at bottom right of selection) to expand the selection. Not a useful step if there is data in the cells though, as this will also Fill the data or formula down the column(s) or right along the row(s)

B

Dec 8, 2011 12:44 PM in response to Barry

Thanks for the help, Barry, but I guess I'm not holding my mouth right. I followed your suggestions and they resulted in copying the whole spreadsheet. No matter what I do, clicking on any cell removes all borders previously put in. If I print before selecting another cell, the borders on the screen do not print. I think I have to admit it when I'm beat. I'm beat. Numbers complexifies so much I'm glad I don't have to rely on it to make a living.

Adding Borders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.