Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut to cycle through windows of a single app

Hi,

Under 10.6 and earlier versions of OS X, there used to be a global shortcut to cycle through the windows of a single application. I cannot seem to find an equivalent under OS X Lion, however.

I did find System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard & Text Input > Move focus to active or next window, but it cycles through windows of all open applications, not just the current app. Is there any way to find/recreate the keybord shortcut I was used to, under Lion?

Thanks,

Tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Late 2011

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 1:54 PM

I can only speak for an older OS but it is only within an application, and is not universal. For example, Apple uses command+` to cycle through windows in Finder (Finder really being an application itself). One or two of my applications also use the command+` to cycle through windows in the application, but by no means do all applications do this. Even TextEdit doesn't have any function for cycle through windows.

Agan I can't speak for Lion but if an item has a menu command but not a keyboard shortcut you can use Preferences > keyboards to assign a shortcut key to a menu item. Again this will be application specific since not all applications have a "cycle through windows" menu item.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2011 1:54 PM in response to TimmyLate2011

I can only speak for an older OS but it is only within an application, and is not universal. For example, Apple uses command+` to cycle through windows in Finder (Finder really being an application itself). One or two of my applications also use the command+` to cycle through windows in the application, but by no means do all applications do this. Even TextEdit doesn't have any function for cycle through windows.

Agan I can't speak for Lion but if an item has a menu command but not a keyboard shortcut you can use Preferences > keyboards to assign a shortcut key to a menu item. Again this will be application specific since not all applications have a "cycle through windows" menu item.

Keyboard shortcut to cycle through windows of a single app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.