Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP screen flickers when moved slightly. Loose connections?

After i open my MBP after it's been sitting for a while, it'll wake up normal. After about 2 mins of the screen being open, the screen will flicker with horizontal lines and sometimes flash almost like a negative screen shot. It only happens if the computer is moved or if I move the screen to open it more. I've never dropped it and keep great care of it. Also Applecare expired years ago.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Purchased in early 2008

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 10:43 PM

eh, this sounds hardware related. but if you want to try a trouble shooting thing that they'll probably have you do if you call in, is a PRAM reset. This way, you'll be able to know a little more clearly if it is Hardware or software,

PRAM reset http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2011 10:43 PM in response to JoeyT22

eh, this sounds hardware related. but if you want to try a trouble shooting thing that they'll probably have you do if you call in, is a PRAM reset. This way, you'll be able to know a little more clearly if it is Hardware or software,

PRAM reset http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Jan 21, 2012 3:39 PM in response to JoeyT22

JoeyT22 wrote:

Do you know approximatly how much this would cost to fix?

No one here can answer that. Your computer will need to be examined to determine exactly what is wrong with it. After the diagnoses (free), the repair techs will be able to provide you witih an estimate along with the labor costs and taxes.

See if any of these articles apply to you -

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues. The affected computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008.

MacBook Pro (Early 2008): Dark bands showing intermittently on built-in display

User uploaded file

MBP screen flickers when moved slightly. Loose connections?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.