Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes high pitch noise when in full screen on 27" iMac11,1

Hello,

When running iTunes 10.5.1 in full screen mode on Lion 10.7.2, I get a faint, high pitch noise coming from my speakers. If I run iTunes in a refular window, the noise does not manifest itself. I can switch back and forth between one full screen app and iTunes, and the noise goes on and off and only manifests itself in iTunes.

Has anyone else experienced this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:27 PM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Jerome Olivier

I think I've found a workaround. The problem doesn't only happen in iTunes, but also in the Finder's list view when in full screen.

The workaround is to use Shades, a small utility that creates a uniform black color mask over my screen. All I had to do was set the brightness of my screen to 100%, run shades and lower the "brightness" using that utility to something comfortable for my eyes.

I think the issue comes from the high frequency flicker that the LED back light uses when the screen is being dimmed. For some reason, the speakers pick up on it when in list view... Why only list view? Beats me.

Anyway, the Shades prefpane can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

I hope this helps.

All the best!

iTunes high pitch noise when in full screen on 27" iMac11,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.