Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

landscape lock rotation

How do I enable "Lancscape View" as my default please?

I want my iphone 4s to show Landscape view virtually all the time. How can I do this?

I have trawled the web to find the answers.. seems like the iPhone is set to default to portrait mode which is not what I want.

I need to hold my iPhone 4s and use both my thumbs and view in landscape nearly all the time almost like a gameboy works (I have a case designed so I can hold it this way). Of course some applications auto rotate, like Safari, however, apps and the phone will not rotate to landscape.

The only solution I can see on the web looks like it is not kosher?? (Landscape Lock Rotation by Cydia)... this app looks like the ideal solution for me, however I do NOT want to jailbreak my phone or have to do anything complex or dodgy... there are no "legal" apps in the app store that offer this. So the only thing I have found is this Cydia app as above.

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated, as it is mega important that I can open my iPhone showing all the display nearly all the time in LANDSCAPE view as I need to hold it sideways virtually all the time.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 5:47 AM

17 replies

Dec 9, 2011 7:33 AM in response to brickweb

rotation and defult orientation is all down to the app.

i have some that dont rotate. i have some that only rotate portrate and landscape left and others that rotate all of the way around so you can use the iphone upside down if you want! some will even lock to a selected orientation by default when you open the app.

if this is to use a specific app, it may be worthwhile dropping the developer a line to see if they can write an update. developers love this kind of feed back.

Jan 28, 2012 1:15 AM in response to brickweb

1) Enable 'Assistive Touch' (Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch)

2) Lock portrait orientation (i.e. double tap Home, swipe right, touch the lock orientation button)

3) Open an app that supports landscape viewing (such as Safari, Notes, etc.)

4) Touch the little black square with a circle inside (open the assistive touch menu)

5) Touch 'Device' > 'Rotate Screen' > 'Left' or 'Right' (then click outside the black square to exit the menu)

Your phone is now locked in landscape orientation until you exit to the homescreen or any other app (if the new app supports landscape you can just go from step 4) as the orientation will still be locked as before.

Oct 7, 2013 10:20 AM in response to jamethyst

So if you have iOS 7, flick up from the bottom of any home screen or App. You should see a summary of the settings area, the Control Center. The top right button should be the Potrait lock icon. If it is white, you are locked in portrait mode and can tap it again to exit the Portrait lock. If it's black/grayed out, then I'm probably kind of full of it 😐 😀

iOS: Understanding Control Center

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5858

Feb 16, 2014 7:10 AM in response to Wi11 d

The fact that it works in "assistive mode" proves that there's really no reason why it can't be done. But thus is typical Apple ******** - making it hard for users to do something that their hardware and software supports perfectly well.

And while I'm ******** about Apple - why does rotation depend on the app? If I want to rotate the screen the OS should just tell the app that the screen dimensions have changed and then display it the way I want. Again - this exemplifies Apple philosophy. I will never buy an Apple Device. The only reason I have one is because my work bought it for me.

landscape lock rotation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.