Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finding print queue

When I bought a mew mac and upgraded from 10.4 to 10.7 I lost access to the print que for all my printers. When I go to system preferences / print and scan/ I can find my printers. The dialog box opens and there is a button for Open Pint Queue and one for Options and Supplies. The one for options and supplies seems to work but when I click on Open Print Queue nothing happens.

I have 3 printers in 2 locations. Only 1 printer is attached to any kind of network and the two locations are not connected and are 40 miles apart. I have set all printers to print to "last printer used." I often forget to select a different printer when I change locations. So I end up with a job stranded in a print queue that I can't see or clear out. I usually don't want to wait, so I select the printer for my current location, print the document, and then when I return to the previous location and pulg the printer into my laptop, the stranded job just starts. Cancel print on the printer itself does not work, just locks up the printer as the laptop keeps trying to send the job.

The printers are HP2210, HP5510, and Xerox 6180 All are more than 4 years old. HP web site keeps refering me to Apple for updated drivers. I have installed new HP drivers from Apple and still no improvement.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 6:45 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2011 10:20 AM in response to jamesfrombryan

The proxies for printers are kept in your home directory's /Library/Printers folder, and that's where "Open Print Queue…" looks. Check to see if there are any printers there. If so, do they open when double-clicking on them? If not, delete those printers and delete and re-add the printers in Print & Scan. Then try "Open Print Queue…" again.

Hope this helps.

Dec 9, 2011 6:57 PM in response to John Blanchard1

John Blanchard1 wrote:

The proxies for printers are kept in your home directory's /Library/Printers folder, and that's where "Open Print Queue…" looks. Check to see if there are any printers there. If so, do they open when double-clicking on them? If not, delete those printers and delete and re-add the printers in Print & Scan. Then try "Open Print Queue…" again.

Hope this helps.

There shouldn't be a need to delete and re-add the printer. The printer proxies are created on the fly if not present.

Dec 9, 2011 7:26 PM in response to John Blanchard1

My apologies. I mis-read your post. I thought you were having the poster delete the proxie and then delete and re-add the printer.

Your way will definitely work. I would tend to just delete the proxie from ~/Library/Printers. Then you can go back to Print & Scan and Open the Print Queue. A new proxie will be created. Either way works.

finding print queue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.