Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Ghost' IMAP folder, how do I get rid of this?

I am using the mac mail program- I have 3 different email addresses set up here, and have used this for 3-4 years now without issue.

In one email account, an IMAP account, I had a mailbox appear out of nowhere recently. When I try to delete the mailbox

I end up with an error saying it cant be deleted, because:

"The IMAP command “DELETE” failed with server error: Mailbox does not exist, or must be subscribed to.."

The mailbox is randomly named "nfs00000000052970d6000015d4"

Oddly, someone else at my company has experienced this same issue recently.

The first thing I tried was to log into my email via the web mail and look at/delete the folder on line. When I do that- the folder doesn't exist.. It appears to be only on my mac. So its there, but not there, if that makes any sense.

Has anyone experienced this? Help!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:46 AM

13 replies

Feb 28, 2012 2:28 PM in response to lildogstudio

Hi,

Did you ever get a fix for this? I have had the problem now for four months...I am up to 9 of the nfs00 folders! Killing me. I use mac mail, and ipad and iphone, the nfs folders show up on all devices..

I called Network Solutions, the provide my IMAP service...they had no clue...surprise surprise..

I can not get rid of them...not sure what to do.. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 8:38 PM in response to lildogstudio

Well, I'm far from proud of my "solution", but I have in fact managed to remove these Network Solutions NFS folders. How you ask? I had to go into the Network Solutions My Account tab, and unassign the infected mailbox completly. Then, I quickly created a "new" mailbox with the same email address and password.

Just to play it safe, I also deleted the mailbox in Mac mail, although I suspect that may not have been necessary. In the end, I have what amounts to be the same email box, less NFS folders. Of course, I lost all of my server side message filters, which *****. Not a fun trade off, but those NFS folders didn't sit well with me.

Jun 2, 2012 7:14 AM in response to lildogstudio

Has anyone found a solution for this? I have the same issue: across all apple devices (ipad, iphone, and mac) with my Network Solutions account. I think this all started shortly after the big upgrade (mail only or OS - I can't recall). Deleting and recreating the email is not an option for me (can't lose my archived emails) and I now have 3 NFS ghost folders. This is what Network Solutions wrote me:

"I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing issues with NFS folders. As I discussed on the phone with you on the last service request, the issue is with the mail client and will continue to occur. We have had a couple customers report this issue. The users all used IMAP on Mac mail and iPhone. The engineers were not able to resolve the issue from the server. We are only able to remove the folders created by the client, but each time the folders are recreated by the client. One customer reported that she stopped using Mac mail and only used Outlook 2011 and that resolved the issue. Outlook hides the system files, while Mac mail and iPhone do not. I recommend contacting Apple support to troubleshoot the issue further.

If cx calls let them know that the issue is with Mac mail and that the folders may reappear when connecting with Mac mail. I recommend contacting mac mail manufacturer or using another mail client."

Aug 6, 2012 4:24 PM in response to lildogstudio

Update... I just had a great conversation with two Apple Mail technical reps who were very nice but very mystified at this issue.

The higher level persons (and my) best guess is that these are Network Solutions ghost files that Apple is alowing to show up so it might need a joint fix. He wants me to call NS again and try to get a higher level person to take a look.

We seemed to rule it out an OS issue due to the fact that these are showing up on all my devises (iPhone and iPad as well) running iOS along with my multiuple computers running Lion and Mountain Lion. It still might be an iCloud issue although we turned iCloud off on one of my computers and the files resurfaced after deleting them and restarting Mail 😟

He is moving it forward to the engineering dept. and promised a response in a few days... stay tuned.

Aug 6, 2012 4:38 PM in response to lildogstudio

Wow. Thanks for the work and update, ochema. Let me know if any of the techs - on either side of the fence - need another case to look at. I'm happy to volunteer.

Aug 31, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Community User

Here is the latest update.

I was able to escalate to a senior engineer at Apple and he said that it is NOT an Apple issue since:

- after deleting the folders inside the Mail Library folder they reappear again after talking to the imap server (Network Solutions)

- they appear on iOS devises (which is a different OS)

He said to contact NS and escate there which I did.

After being promised an escalation at NS I recieved an email saying:

I am sorry to hear you were having issues with your mail.WeI have performed maintenance on your mailbox and confirmed it is currently working without error. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any questions regarding this Service Request, you can chat directly with our Technical Support team by clicking on the following link:

http://www.networksolutions.com/dms/support.jsp.

Low and behold the folders are now GONE from my imap!!!

The bad thing is there is still one in my wifes email account 😟 and no indication of how it was corrected.

So I called NS again today and the tech told me he would resubmit the ticket for her account.

We'll see if they fix hers.

Sorry but there was no indication of what is wrong or how it is fixed other than contacting them and complaining. You have to be very specific that it is a known issue and it needs escalation beyond the first level tech that you will get on the phone. 888-793-7657

Sep 15, 2012 7:59 AM in response to lildogstudio

Update for all. I contacted Network Solutions again, gave them the link to this thread, and they escalated to technical support. As of yesterday I had 6 nfs folders and I just received an email that my nfs folders have been removed and I was happy to see that they have been removed. I hope this is permanent and hopefully they don't come back.

'Ghost' IMAP folder, how do I get rid of this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.