Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Does Photostream Keep Turning Itself Off?

Every time I restart iPhoto, Photostream is turned off. I have to turn it back on and re-download everything again. It's very annoying.

Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2009 24"

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 12:35 PM

11 replies

Dec 9, 2011 2:14 PM in response to Robby Berman

Hm, I just tried enabling Photostream from the iPhoto preferences as opposed to clicking the button in the main pane. When I relaunched iPhoto, Photostream was properly on. Is this the fix? We'll see.

P.S. I did this on my laptop, too, and it took two clicks of the Preference to stick; the first time, the checkbox unchecked itself right in front of my eyes!

Dec 23, 2011 3:11 AM in response to JoelSmith

Hello,

I am wondering if all people having this problem are using Dropbox as well

I have disabled Dropbox, however without removing all associated files, and the problem remains

Also surprisingly the problem (Photostream disabling itself in Aperture every time I log-out) only exist on my MacBookPro 2011

As the developper of another software tells me:

"

I got another e-mail from another tester having the same problem. Interestingly, he also uses Dropbox. I’ve looked at the app a bit, and it seems to be using code injection to hack code into the Finder, which is a questionable technique that I really wish they wouldn’t use. Anyway, since the only real change in the trial software I sent you, was the addition of some new icons and UTIs in the Info.plist, my guess is that Dropbox’s hacking is messing up the LaunchServices database (which is in charge of both icons and document-application associations) in a way that’s causing this.

Jan 4, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Annorax64

And yet turning off DropBox has no effect on this issue. Of course, if it's already mucked up the Finder...

I have a question about this issue, though. When you look in your iPhoto Accounts Preference pane, does it show a MobileMe—not iCloud—email account? Mine does, which I think is odd, since the System MobileMe pane says it's been converted to iCloud. I'm surprised it hasn't been converted in iPhoto, too.

Could this be why Photostream won't stay on in iPhoto? Do all of you also show MobileMe, not iCloud, accounts in the iPhoto Preferences?

Jun 7, 2012 12:20 PM in response to Robby Berman

Make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - reboot.

4 - launch iPhoto, reset the preferences and see if the Photo Stream will stay on.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

OT

Why Does Photostream Keep Turning Itself Off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.