Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 8gb wrong capacity?

So i bought a new iphone 4 8gb from store.apple.com/ca and itunes show that it's whole capacity is 6.37gb. Is that normal, and is there a way to format it so it would have more space?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 2:32 PM

Yes, that is normal. 8 GB is the total built-in memory. Some of it is used for the operating system and built-in apps. 6.4 GB is what is left as free memory.

16 replies

Dec 20, 2012 10:38 AM in response to Rysz

So Rysz - I have an iPhone 4s - my "Other" capacity is taking up 4.4gb on my phone and I have 2.9gb free. I have a lot of my music on the cloud, and have deleted many data intensive apps. I run the latest OS on the phone. Would it really make any different to delete and restore phone to gain a gb of "other" or should I not worry about it as long as I keep an eye on free data. It just seems to me phone is running slower than it should be even though I have plenty of free space. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2012 12:38 PM in response to micksims

The "other" category tends to accumulate (along with some usefull stuff) a lot of dispensable junk, especially if you're trying different apps, use apps that need temp cache, etc. Restore clears all that useless data and is generally a good way to speed up things, especially if you're low on memory. I usually gain 1 to 2.5 GB of memory by doing the Restore. Used to do it every three months, or so, but now with 64GBs do it less often.

It is a bit nerve wrecking because things might go wrong (as with everything we do). Make sure you make a complete backup (on your computer and in iCloud), follow Apple directions, and you should be fine. Aside from text messages, all your useful data should be preserved. Your call...

Jan 22, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Rysz

I have an interesting situation. With my Iphone 4 8Gb I have 6.4Gb of available memory, what I consider to be normal. But the thing is that until now I have installed applications that sum a total of ~ 800 Gb, and my iphone shows me I have used 3.3 Gb and that I have left 3.0 Gb of free memory. I should have 5.5 Gb of free memory. Where are my 2.5 Gb of free memory????!!!!!!!

I have the phone just for a week. Besides the applications I have mentioned (a sum of which I made by simply making a total of all the applications from list in the usage menu), I have 5 photos and no videos. I have spoken with lots of people that are long time iphone users, and no one could find explication.

Please help me find my phone's lost memory.

Thank you in advance...

Jan 22, 2013 2:23 PM in response to oxi_doxi

Rather than calculate used memory manually, check it on the device. Download size doersn't tell the entire story.

First on the iPhone go to Settings > General > Usage > Storage. It lists how much memory is used by each of the apps (you may have to tap Show all Apps to see everything) Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Second, connect the iPhone to iTunes on your computer. On the bottom of the device page is a graph that shows used memory by categories (Audio, Video, Photos, Other, etc). Does anything look out of the ordinary here?

Jan 23, 2013 7:44 AM in response to oxi_doxi

There are many threads on this forum discussing/explaining what's contained in the Other category. Just do a search on that topic.

2.5GB of Other is on the high side after using the phone for a week, but not that unusual. You may want to do a Restore from Backup to eliminate outdated, unnecessy stuff, but please read about it first, so you don't loose any files.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

iPhone4 8gb wrong capacity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.