Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting within iPhoto albums: eliminate carryover from prior manual sorts?

I am working with a large series of photos from a recent vacation, arranging the images for captioning and sharing as slideshows. I've pulled the images over to new albums, one per day, and would ideally sort them once by date, then change to manual sort and adjust a few images' position in the queue. But when I switch from date sort to manual sort, the images immediately revert to a relatively random-looking order that I think must be the order in which they were edited and then pulled into the finishing album. Since some of these albums include several hundred photos, the idea of starting over with completely manual sort of all of the images is VERY painful. Sorting them by date and then copying and dragging the sorted images to a new album, and then resetting to manual sort, reverts them to the same order they had in the previous album.

Any suggestions for how to fix the date sort some way, then do a fresh manual sort that leaves the date sort as my starting point?

(and is the question clear?)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 12:29 PM

5 replies

Dec 10, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Another way to put it: it seems like changing sort order within the album is working like "Reset manual sort"--restoring a previous order, using as a default base the order in which photos were added to the library or the album (not sure which), and there is no way to say, "start with this order and then let me adjust a little bit manually".

Dec 10, 2011 5:50 PM in response to Old Toad

Another thank you.

I could not figure out how to manually movie my photos & videos. "Manually" & "Reset manual" were greyed out in Smart Albums. So I deleted Smart Albums and just made an "Album." "Manually & "Reset manual" magically appeared un-greyed.

Took me awhile to figure out that you can only manually move the last picture or video.

User uploaded file

Dec 16, 2011 12:37 PM in response to CMCSK

I sort by date, then rearrange manually, but when I close iPhoto and then open it up again, the photos in that album are out of order, into what seems like a random order (i.e., not in date order, file name order, etc.). The same thing happens if I use the view menu and select sort manually--the photos go into this weird, random order.

It is very upsetting, since I spent a good deal of time putting photos in a particular order, but they won't stay that way! Any suggestions? I already tried rebuilding iPhoto library, but that did not help.

Sorting within iPhoto albums: eliminate carryover from prior manual sorts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.