Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I open iMovie, the program doesn't respond. The Wheel comes up and I have to force quit. Can anyone help me figure this out so I can work on projects? if it helps, I'm running OS 10.5.8

Hi, My iMovie program stops responding upon opening. I can't figure it out. I haven't really used it in the past but I would like to start. My Mac is one of those aluminum Macbooks that look like a macbook pro and were on the market for a little bit. I'm running OS 10.5.8 and its on the most recent update for the operating system. I don't know how to correct the glitch. Any help would be great! Thanks

-E

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:39 PM

7 replies

Dec 10, 2011 5:24 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Thanks for helpin me out!

I have the latest software update.

My iMovie is version 7.1.4.

And the contents of Library/QuickTime are as follows:

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.Component

DivX Decoder.component

DivX Encoder.component

Flip4Mac WMV Advancer.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Google Camera Adapter 0.component

Google Camera Adapter 1.component

Dec 10, 2011 5:49 PM in response to ESoulfire3

OK, you have iMovie 08, which is also known is iMovie Version 7.1.4. It has been a few years since i used this version, so this is based on memory.

The only components you must have in the Library/QuickTime folder are the AppleIntermediateCodec.component and the AppleMPEG2Codec.component.

All the others could potentially be causing problems. I would drag the DivX components, the Flip4Mac components, and the Google Camera components to the Desktop temporarily, so nothing is left in this folder except the two Apple components.

Then restart your Mac and start iMovie. If it works, yay!

If you still need these other components for some other app, you can probably get updated DivX components for free at Perian.org.

You can get updated Flip4Mac components by running WMV Player and updating. It should prompt you to update automatically.

I am not sure about the Google components, but if you are running something that needs them, it should prompt you to install the current versions.

If none of that works, post back.

Dec 10, 2011 6:15 PM in response to AppleMan1958

So, I tried moving the DivX, Google, and Flip4Mac to the desktop and leaving only the apple comonpents and restarted and it still wouldn't respond upon opening.

I then updated flip4mac, divx and that didn't help.

Then, since I haven't used those programs in a long time anyway, I went ahead and uninstalled them.

No luck so far :/

Any more ideas? Thank you again for helping me out.

-E

Dec 10, 2011 6:59 PM in response to ESoulfire3

There are some other things you could try, but I am not sure how effective they would be. Here they are in order from easiest to hardest.

You can contact Apple and have them help, but they may charge a fee for this.

1) Shut down iMovie, and go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences and look for a file with a name like com.apple.imovie08.plist or com.apple.imovie07.plist. Drag this file to the trash and then restart your Mac.

2) Uninstall iMovie and then resinstall from the iLife install disks.

3) Reinstall OSX.

Every time I open iMovie, the program doesn't respond. The Wheel comes up and I have to force quit. Can anyone help me figure this out so I can work on projects? if it helps, I'm running OS 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.