Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 OS 10.6.8 Stuck on Apple logo when trying to re-install

I own a 1st own 27 inch 2.8 Ghz Core i7 Imac, 1 TB HDD and 12 GB 1067 MHz DRR3, originaly 4 GB then added 8 GB on 10/22/2011 from OWC. I own multiple iMacs for work but this one is mostly for entertaiment and play few online games like WoW and Stracraft 2.

Been using this iMac for a couple of years and never had any issue with it untill the last 3 or 4 months. I started to notice that while while joining online games I was suddenly always the last one to load, then I was experiencing lag and very short freeze time during the game play.

I then realized that I never did upgrade my memory so I decided to order an extra 8 GB from OWC, installed the sticks in and my load time was now solved, I was no longer the last one to load and most applications was running much smoother as well.

2 or 3 weeks into it, the lag came back and the random freeze were happening more and more often to the point that I could no longer play the game. I also noticed that if I tried to do multiple file transfers at once or jump from app to app I was getting the wheel of fortune way too often. I check my hard drive and realized that it was almost full, about 900 GB out of 1 TB were in use! Did a major clean up and now the drive is down to 400 GB and 600 GB available.

The wheel of fortune just won't go away, this computer is now so slow that it is pretty much unusable...

What I have done so far to fix it:

- I ram few time Disk Utility, every single time it finds quiet a few permissions errors and repairs, I was also volume error message in read that I could not fix, it was asking be to reboot + hold C with the install CD to do the repair.

- Reboot the computer with the install DVD in hold C but I am getting stuck at the apple logo.

- Ran Disk Warrior which gave me the same error and asked to reboot with hold C, same problem I am getting stuck at the apple logo.

- Did a reboot + option, getting the volume choice, select the DVD then get stuck at apple logo.

- Did a Command + S reboot, ran a check disk with repair, told me that everything was ok.

- Back in OS X, ran Disk Utility, the volume error now gone but still getting permissions to repair each time I run a check.

- Ran a full scan with Drive Genius, 0 bad blocks found after 3 hours of scan.

- Ran all tests on TechTool Pro 6 and no error on disk nor on Memory, still find permissions issues when I check permissions.

I am still getting the wheel of fortune randomly while I am typing this post, Techtool Pro is running memory test none stop, Drive Genius is scan the hard drive and Disk Warrior is checking permissions.

I removed the extra 8 GB of memory, the Mac gets even slower and still get the random wheels when trying to do more than 1 thing at once...

Not sure what to do next? I fell like the HDD is failing but every single test is telling me the opposite, can't figure out why i can't run an install after a reboot.

Thoughts?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 7:46 PM

3 replies

Dec 10, 2011 7:55 PM in response to UGF

Have you reinstalled Snow Leopard? Before doing that see the following:

Kappy's Personal Suggestions for OS X Maintenance

For disk repairs use Disk Utility. For situations DU cannot handle the best third-party utilities are: Disk Warrior; DW only fixes problems with the disk directory, but most disk problems are caused by directory corruption; Disk Warrior 4.x is now Intel Mac compatible. TechTool Pro provides additional repair options including file repair and recovery, system diagnostics, and disk defragmentation. TechTool Pro 4.5.1 or higher are Intel Mac compatible; Drive Genius is similar to TechTool Pro in terms of the various repair services provided. Versions 1.5.1 or later are Intel Mac compatible.

OS X performs certain maintenance functions that are scheduled to occur on a daily, weekly, or monthly period. The maintenance scripts run in the early AM only if the computer is turned on 24/7 (no sleep.) If this isn't the case, then an excellent solution is to download and install a shareware utility such as Macaroni, JAW PseudoAnacron, or Anacron that will automate the maintenance activity regardless of whether the computer is turned off or asleep. Dependence upon third-party utilities to run the periodic maintenance scripts had been significantly reduced in Tiger and Leopard. These utilities have limited or no functionality with Snow Leopard or Lion and should not be installed.

OS X automatically defragments files less than 20 MBs in size, so unless you have a disk full of very large files there's little need for defragmenting the hard drive. As for virus protection there are few if any such animals affecting OS X. You can protect the computer easily using the freeware Open Source virus protection software ClamXAV. Personally I would avoid most commercial anti-virus software because of their potential for causing problems.

I would also recommend downloading the shareware utility TinkerTool System that you can use for periodic maintenance such as removing old log files and archives, clearing caches, etc. Other utilities are also available such as Onyx, Lion Cache Cleaner, CockTail, for example.

For emergency repairs install the freeware utility Applejack. If you cannot start up in OS X, you may be able to start in single-user mode from which you can run Applejack to do a whole set of repair and maintenance routines from the commandline. Note that AppleJack 1.5 is required for Leopard. AppleJack 1.6 is compatible with Snow Leopard. There is no confirmation that this version also works with Lion.

When you install any new system software or updates be sure to repair the hard drive and permissions beforehand. I also recommend booting into safe mode before doing system software updates.

Get an external Firewire drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

Backuplist

Carbon Copy Cloner

Data Backup

Deja Vu

iBackup

JaBack

Silver Keeper

MimMac

Retrospect

Super Flexible File Synchronizer

SuperDuper!

Synchronize Pro! X

SyncTwoFolders

Synk Pro

Synk Standard

Tri-Backup

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQs on maintenance, optimization, virus protection, and backup and restore.

Additional suggestions will be found in Mac Maintenance Quick Assist.

Referenced software can be found at CNet Downloads or MacUpdate.

As a start I would suggest using a utility like Snow Leopard (now Lion) Cache Cleaner or a similar utility such as TinkerTool System to clean all user, system, and font caches. Also:

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

And, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on resolving SBBOD issues.

Yours may simply be an issue of cleaning up. You can try creating a new user account. Log into the new account. Do all these problems disappear?

The repetitive messages from Disk Utility are normal and may be safely ignored. I would be a bit concerned by the fact that you cannot successfully boot from an installer disc.

Dec 11, 2011 8:03 AM in response to Kappy

So far no luck..

- I ran memory tests all night just in case and didn't get a single fail on the report this morning.

- installed and ran Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, took a good 2 hours + to clean up everything.

- Installed and ran Tinker, optimized and clean everything I could with it.

- Created a new user

I had Activity Monitor up, nothing is above 2.8%, only running my email and 1 web browser... Getting the wheel very very often

iMac 27 OS 10.6.8 Stuck on Apple logo when trying to re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.