Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yikes G4 400mhz cpu in a Beige G3 AIO L2 cache problems

Ok here is a wered one

i bought a Yikes G4 mobo and G4 400mhz cpu for $40. It shows up today i take out my orignal G3 266mhz cpu and i install the G4 and set all the jumpers to where is is at 400mhz 66mhz bus.

i held the cuda button for 20-30 seconds and powered up. the system seemed a bit slugish booting in to OS X so i waited and it finished booting i look in ASP it shows it as a G4 400mhz but no L2 cache i was like what gives. so i tryed booting into OS 9.2.2 it to was sluggish it got to the desk top where it froze so i did the 3 finger salute and tryed again. it froze on the desktop again in the same spot so i couldent get OS 9.2.2 booted.

i downloaded cpu dorector from powerlogics site or where ever it was and ran it it was showing the L2 cache but i didnt want to mess with any thing so i let it be it showed it as disabled in the cpu director prefrence pain . i dont know why the system dont see the L2 cache on the G4 cpu when it see's it on the G3.

i read that open firmware is the one that handles the L2 cache on startup to allow the system to see it and this is supost to automatcly hapen on boot when you reset the cuda

i dunno what to do i was hoping this cpu would work in this Beige G3 since its not one of the upgrade cpu's it is a cpu out of the yikes G4

is there any way to get the system to see the L2 cache like is does with the G3

i hope i didnt lose any one

Thanks
Frank

beige power macintosh G3 ALL-IN-ONE rev b rom, rev 2 logic board, OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS 9.2.x, 266mhz, 448mb ram, 6mb vram, 120gig hdd, ATI radion 7000 ME, Pioneer DVR-110D

Posted on Feb 9, 2006 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2006 6:01 AM

I think that you can activate the L2 cache using XPostFacto, in the options pane. There's a section called "Enable L2/L3 Cache". Just check the box and you should be in. Of course, if I'm babbling out a load of rubbish feel free to take me out of my misery. 🙂

Power Macintosh G3 Minitower Mac OS X (10.2.x) PowerPC G4 at 533 MHz, 384 MB RAM, 32 MB VRAM, 80 GB HD, Internal Zip 100...
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2006 6:01 AM in response to Frank McHugh

I think that you can activate the L2 cache using XPostFacto, in the options pane. There's a section called "Enable L2/L3 Cache". Just check the box and you should be in. Of course, if I'm babbling out a load of rubbish feel free to take me out of my misery. 🙂

Power Macintosh G3 Minitower Mac OS X (10.2.x) PowerPC G4 at 533 MHz, 384 MB RAM, 32 MB VRAM, 80 GB HD, Internal Zip 100...

Feb 9, 2006 7:05 AM in response to Frank McHugh

System profiler doesn't see the L2 cache because it is disabled (as CPU Director shows). Use CPU Director to enable the L2 cache and set the cache ratio for 2:1. The L2 cache controller in XPF only affects the timing of cache enabling, i.e. it enables it sooner which speeds up the boot process; it can also cause boot problems.

Feb 9, 2006 12:25 PM in response to Bill W

ok cpu director locks up as soon as the icon "AKA extention" loads in OS 9.2.2 . i am running with limited extentions enables cause of there site saying it had a problem with the ATI axelerator extention im going to give sonnets one a shot. i wish there was a way so i didnt have toi use the L2 enablers is there any other L@ cache enabler out there. BTW im useing OS X 10.2.8 so i dont have xpostfacto installed

Feb 9, 2006 2:16 PM in response to Bill W

im talking about booting in OS 9.2.2. looks like im stuck with the G3 266mhz cpu cause i put it back in not installing anything and it forze as soon as it went to the desktop i tryed cpu director but as soon as the ATI accelorator extention loads it lock's up when i made the CPU director extention load first.

if it loads in normal order it freezes on the cpu director extention. and sonnet wondt load cause its not there cpu. so im lost on this one. this Beige G3 AIO is stuck on stock cpu. well looks like the cpu will have to stay in the Yikes G4 mobo and i just build it up.

i dont know why the L2 cache is disabled for shouldent it work like any other cpu i mean cause almost all cpu's have L2 built on the chip why do i have to use software just to see it.

the only way it will boot into OS 9.2.2 is if i disable the ATI accelarator extention with or with out the cpu director

beige power macintosh G3 ALL-IN-ONE rev b rom, rev 2 logic board, OS X 10.2.8 Mac OS 9.2.x 266mhz, 448mb ram, 6mb vram, 120gig hdd, ATI radion 7000 ME, Pioneer DVR-110D

Yikes G4 400mhz cpu in a Beige G3 AIO L2 cache problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.