Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility after upgrading to Lion

I couldn't get disk utility app to work from the Finder. I finally figured out to go to the "About This Mac" menu, upper left apple emblem, then clicked More Info.. then Storage then Disk Utility at the bottom right. Then I was able to set up my back up external HD for Timemachine. Took HOURS to figure this out. Hope this saves someone a lot of time.

texastreeman

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), added 500 GB hardrive, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 11:05 PM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2011 11:34 AM in response to babowa

Mine doesn't look like that. I have a MacBook laptop. It has a "Dock" and in that Dock is "Finder". The old "Disk Utility" is in "Finder" and doesn't work. It's also in "Launchpad" and it also doesn't work. I can't find where my screenshots are going, for some unknown reason, or I'ld show you. The screenshots used to go to my desktop. Anyway the new "Disk Utility" is now in the "Apple" menu at the top of my "Safari" browser window on the left and looks like an apple. I clicked "About This Mac" then "More Info..." Then I chose "Storage" from the 4 options. Then "Disk Utilities" on the bottom right. Okay I figured the screen shots out. Much of the new OS different. See on the right is the "Dock" and I've magnafied the "Finder" by mousing over it. It has the smiley face and under it is "Launch Pad". Top Left is the Apple where the new and only working "Utlity Disk" is now located.

.User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2011 11:58 AM in response to texastreeman

Okay - if you "un-mouse" the Finder, you will find your hard disk icon underneath (not part of the dock, but on the desktop). Double click that and you'll get a window like this:

User uploaded file

I have mine set to Column view (see the view options in the little toolbar of the window) - so the path is:

Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

FYI, the icons in the dock are only aliases or links to the actual application/programs. So, once you find the "real" Disk Utility, you can simply drag its' icon to the dock if you want.

Going to Disk Utility via the System Profiler is not the right way - those windows are meant for information only.

Disk Utility after upgrading to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.