Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Purchasing Advice Needed. I Need a Killer Set-Up?

Hello,

I need advice from the Apple community as to how I should proceed with my computer purchases. I am starting my own business called, Big Apple Photo Tours (bigapplephototours.com). I mainly use my computer for editing photos using Photoshop and for making photoboooks that are 12" X 24". Here is my problem: I am both editing my photos and designing these large photobooks on a 13" MacBook Pro. With every photo and every book I make, I have to zoom-in and zoom-out until I become nauseous. My screen size on my little Mac with Photoshop menus open and album design software menus open is minuscule. I am trying to design 24" wide photobooks using a screen width of about 5". To avoid this problem, my first thought was that what I really needed was a 27" iMac, however, I nixed this idea because I live far away from an Apple store in NYC, have no car, and don't want to have to wrap-up and mail a large computer when it starts to have problems. In addition, touting my little MacBook Pro to photoshop lessons and to the Apple store on the subway has been very convenient. So my leanings (after all of this) is to purchase a Thunderbolt enabled 17" MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt Monitor. I was thinking about getting a high-resolution screen 17" MacBook Pro (drawbacks?). I would even get the matte screen in order to mimic the look of real photobook pages and I am open to solid-state hard-drives. I just love laptops because, if and when anything ever goes wrong with them, they are easy to transport and fix. The advice I need is; what would you do given the circumstances I'm in? What would your ultimate set-up be? Remember, to take into consideration not having a car and it is difficult to transport hardware. I just want the ultimate set-up for editing photos and making photobooks. Psst, to tell you the truth, if Apple doesn't have it all, I am even open to other manufacturers in my quest for the ultimate computer solution.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 11:34 PM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2011 8:59 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes, of course I am using Adobe Photoshop. At the moment it is very tedious editing photos with Photoshop on my 13" MacBook Pro. Not only that but when I have my album design program open "within" Photoshop, the work space screen size is way too small. That is why I am looking to upgrade. So far, I have a few thousand dollars saved up but I can save more. With that said, I want to reiterate that I'm looking at the high resolution matte 17" MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt display. If there is something better, let me know. I am also interested in solid-state hard-drives.

Dec 11, 2011 9:05 AM in response to davidhunternyc1

There is nothing better that's portable. You're on the right track. If you need to save a bit of money, skip the small, overpriced SSD and get a big 7200RPM hard drive instead. The prices of SSDs are still falling, and the devices themselves are getting better. Add a bigger one yourself a year from now, and it may cost half as much per GB as the small ones you can get today.

Dec 11, 2011 10:24 AM in response to davidhunternyc1

Ditto to everything eww has to say.

I took to heart in your post, your statement "I just want the ultimate set-up for editing photos and making photobooks.". On that basis I brought up the Mac Pro. You can configure one that will out perform and have greater flexibility than any laptop by a wide margin. There are significant costs associated with this route, both in terms of dollars and productivity. I have a photographer friend who who could not run his business effectively with out his Mac Pro. Obviously its down side is lack of portability.

I sense that your finances are not infinite, therefore you are probably limited to a MBP at this time. I can vouch for the 17" MBP (i have two of them) and do get the anti-glare screen. All photographers prefer them over the glossy. The rational is that the colors displayed are more accurate. This probably is a good compromise for your current situation, but I'm will to wager that if your endeavor proves to be financially successful, you will be looking at a Mac Pro in the future.

Ciao.

PS - You only have one resolution choice with the 17" MBP.

Dec 11, 2011 11:16 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you all for your help. I feel more at ease now purchasing the 17" anti-glare screen MacBook Pro. I have a couple more questions that you alerted me too. Is the 7200RPM hard-drive an option and what are its advantages? Also, I am open to the idea of getting a MacPro. The only issue I have with it is, when it breaks (because they all do eventually) I just don't want to pack it up and send it out to get repaired. If my MacBook Pro breaks its easy to get on the subway and bring it to the Apple store. With that said, what are the advantages to getting a MacPro over the 17" MacBook Pro/Thunderbolt display combination? Also, how did you "configure" your MacPro to maximize your photo business?

Dec 11, 2011 12:03 PM in response to davidhunternyc1

A 7200 RPM HDD will retrieve data faster than a 5400 RPM HDD, but not as fast a SSD. As eww indicated, it represents a more cost effective solution for enhanced performance as opposed to a SSD.

As to the Mac Pro, do two things: 1. Log onto the Apple web site and familiarize you self with the product and the various possible configurations (and costs!). 2. Any questions you may have about Mac Pros, post them on the Mac Pro forum. You should find persons there who can give you good and detailed advice. I don't have a Mac Pro so I don't feel qualified to give any definitive answers other than what I have related to you.

I under stand your concern with portability. Mac Pros are big and they are heavy and expensive. Start with the MBP.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro Purchasing Advice Needed. I Need a Killer Set-Up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.