Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble logging in :(

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum... I am quite new to the Mac platform, so forgive me for not being very knowledgable... I used a powermac 18 years ago for a time, but my work has steered me the Linux and Windows route since... loving my new Mac though!

I set up a home server and managed to screw it up by selecting the option to propegate permissions to sub folders and files, so when I rebooted I got nothing but a spinning wheel. I used verbose mode to find the issue, then spent a couple hours trying to fix it. I discovered searching the forums that Lion has a recovery mode so used it to restore permissions, this worked so now I have a login prompt, but when I try to login using my admin account it gives the error that the account is not available due to an error.

In the Users folder I can see the admin account etc.. I don't know how to enable a login using the root account in single user mode, and I don't have a CD since the mini didn't ship with one, I also don't don't have the terminal in the recovery utilities to try reinitialise the password... not sure where to go from here??

Any help would we most welcome!!

Thanks,

@web guy

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 1:36 AM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2011 1:13 PM in response to web_guy

Lion is a bit buggy it seems, the repair process isn't streamlined yet, hopefully it improves... I am stubborn and old school, I spent hours on this, I won't reinstall unless i am absolutely beat so I searched hundreds of forums instead but came up with nothing!!!

I just couldn't wait any longer, and this forum was a bit of a bust with nothing useful I am afraid, so I got fed up and reinstalled... It was the best option in the end since I recovered the disk quite easily after that. No data loss thankfully, but less trusting of Lion now.

@web guy

Trouble logging in :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.