Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad USB port broken?

When I plugged my iPad into my laptop USB ports the battery icon did not change and the laptop did not acknowledge the iPad as connected. The laptop's ports are fine, and I tried a few different USB cords, so I believe the problem is the iPad USB port. I tried plugging it in to the wall and it worked after I restarted, but the next few attempts did nothing. I left it plugged in overnight and when I turned it on in the morning it was still at the same percentage, but when I unlocked it the number doubled suddenly. It appears to be draining normally, but there is no response to being plugged in.

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 11:32 AM

Take it back where you got it or to an apple store and have them look into it. It's very possible that the USB port did die.

If you've replicated it with multiple cords, multiple computers/usb ports and multiple cables, then the only thing that's left is the USB on the iPad. Mine went bad and it was coverred under manufacturer's defects.

Others have also suggested to take a can of air and blow the connection out good, make sure ther'es nothing interferring with the connection.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2011 11:32 AM in response to talexhv

Take it back where you got it or to an apple store and have them look into it. It's very possible that the USB port did die.

If you've replicated it with multiple cords, multiple computers/usb ports and multiple cables, then the only thing that's left is the USB on the iPad. Mine went bad and it was coverred under manufacturer's defects.

Others have also suggested to take a can of air and blow the connection out good, make sure ther'es nothing interferring with the connection.

Dec 11, 2011 12:33 PM in response to talexhv

You are aware that the standard PC and Mac( apart from very very recent )USB ports do provide the 10w of power needed to charge the iPad .They will charge but very very slowly as they have a maximum of 5W (1amp)

You need to use the wall power pack which delivers 10w (2amp)which is what the iPad is expecting

iPad USB port broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.