Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export images at 5x7 at 72dpi for sure?

Hi All,

I'm creating an CD with my portfolio and I have to send all images formatted to 5x7 inches at 72 dpi. I want to make sure I did this 100% correct before I send it out.

I exported from Aperture 3.03 with settings at JPEG Original Size, 72 dpi, and dimensions at 5x7 inches. When I look at the images with Preview, the images are at 360 x 504 pixels, which I read online are the appropriate dimensions for 5x7.

My sense of doubt kicks in because the images on my monitor are not the same as an 5x7 print. In fact, when using a ruler to measure on-screen dimensions, the resized images are about 5.5 inches wide, 3.75 inches tall, and 6.5 inches diagonally. Is this right? I'm simply afraid the images are too small...

Thanks

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 12:37 PM

It is very unlikely that your monitor is displaying 72 pixels per inch, so the image will appear smaller. 3.75 inches for 360 pixels coresponds to 96 pixels per inch which is much more likely.

9 replies

Dec 11, 2011 12:55 PM in response to demasoni

If you chose the JPEG - Original Size preset, Aperture does not change the pixel dimensions from the original - that is unless you edited that preset to change the Size To: setting from Original Size to something else.

If you create an export preset and set the Size To: setting to Fit Within (Inches), then a combination of the Width and Height and DPI settings control the pixel dimensions. If this is what you did, then you did not really use the JPEG - Original Size preset as it was delivered by Apple.

BTW, the pixel dimensions you stated above are indeed a 5x7 image at 72DPI.

5 x 72 = 360

7 x 72 = 504

I agree with Jeffrey that you cannot determine the size on screen unless your display is also set to 72DPI. Or in Photoshop there is a View Print Size command that would do it if you properly tell Photoshop your display's true DPI ahead of time. Preview doesn't have that capability.

Dec 11, 2011 1:06 PM in response to demasoni

In fact, when using a ruler to measure on-screen dimensions, the resized images are about 5.5 inches wide, 3.75 inches tall, and 6.5 inches diagonally.

If the image has 360 x 504 pixels and the resolution is set to 72 dpi, then all should be well. Try to print your image, and measure the dimension on the paper. Or import it to PhotoShop and display the rulers, set to inches. PhotoShop will display an image with the correct physical dimensions.

Perhaps some of your images have been cropped with custom dimensions, so that it is impossible to achieve 7 by 5 inches without scaling the width and height differently. Then Aperture will export the image scaled to fit the smaller dimension, and the image will not fill the larger dimension completely. if you want exact 7 by 5 images you must take care to crop them with an aspect ratio of 7 to 5.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 11, 2011 1:27 PM in response to léonie

Here is a screen shot of the jpeg "Original Size" edited to 7 by 5 inches, set to 72 dpi.

This will only result in 7 by 5 inches imes, if the aspect ratio (width to height in pixel) of the image really is 7 to 5. If the image has been cropped to custom dimensions the original proportions will be preserved on export.

User uploaded file

How to export images at 5x7 at 72dpi for sure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.