Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro memory problem

Hello,

I installed 8 gig of ram in my macbook pro early 2011 4 days ago, since yesterday however my mac started to act weird.

It started to beep and my screen was all messed up (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiADnFljHU) I identified the three beeps as a warning that something is wrong with the memory, so I ran memtest a few times, reset my nv,r and pram but everything tells me there is nothing wrong with my mac.

So far my mbp froze 3 times in two days,

1: I was typing an e-mail.

2: a quarter after I finished memtest and was hovering over the shut down button with the mouse.

3: My mac was just standing on my desk with just adium running I didn't do any heavy tasks with it.

I hope someone can tell me what to do,

thanks,

Dennis

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 15" early 2011

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 9:24 AM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2011 9:39 AM in response to betagames nl

If you put the original memory back in, do you still have the same issues?

What are the brand and specs on the new 8GB memory you are using?

Go into Lion recovery mode (reboot holding command and R) and run the Apple hardware test. You want to see if there is a video hardware issue. You may want to run it several times as the hardware test doesn't always pick up issues on the first run.

Dec 11, 2011 1:03 PM in response to betagames nl

My apology ... Apple hardware test .... Since your system came with Snow Leopard, you have the OS X disks. Find the one that says 'AHT Version x.x' in small print on the label. Insert, reboot holding D or alt/option key down. If holding alt/option key, choose Apple hardware test, and when prompted choose the extended test.

Dec 12, 2011 3:05 PM in response to BGreg

Hello again,

Well I didn't put back my old memory yet because it is in my dad's macbook now, though I didn't encounter any problems or freezes since yesterday afternoon.

It almost looks like it is working now, could it be that the ram modules weren't inserted correctly and perhaps movement was the cause of the freezing?

What do you think? Is it smart to test the new ram for a couple of days or should I put back the old ones and try to get two new modules from the store?

The packaging for my ram says lifetime limited warranty, but I don't know if they will trade it if it turns out broken after, say a week or two..

about the testing though, I ran the hardware test about 5 times (that was a very long night) and nothing came up I also ran memtest 15 times and this also didn't report any problems.

Dennis

Dec 12, 2011 3:23 PM in response to betagames nl

Did you reseat the memory? If there's no longer a video issue, and no beeping when you restart it, that would suggest a problem with the initial installation. If everything is OK, I'd use the system.

The limited warranty says if the memory is bad, they'll replace it with the same. If it's not going to work in your mac, you want different memory, not replace with same.

Use the system for a day or two. At night, you might fire up the Apple hardware test, and let it run in loop mode (push command and L while it's doing the extended test) while you get some sleep. Or let rember/memtest run over night.

Dec 22, 2011 5:33 AM in response to betagames nl

Well here I am again,

after a week of no problems, today my macbook started crashing again.

I looked into the log files now and found an error showing up right before the crash appeared..

This is the error

22-12-11 09:13:57,498 mdworker: (Error) ImportPluginLoading: Couldn't load plugin 'Spotlight/Google%20Earth.mdimporter/ -- file://localhost/Library/Internet%20Plug-Ins/Google%20Earth%20Web%20Plug-in.plu gin/Contents/MacOS/Google%20Earth%20for%20Plugin.app/Contents/Library/'

I crashed two times today and this message pops up right before the reboot output starts (because i have to reboot when my mac crashes)

I will try to find this plugin and see if i can fix it, is it possible i can replace it with an older version from time machine?

thanks

Dennis

Jan 29, 2013 9:14 AM in response to betagames nl

betagames nl, did your problem solve?

I have a similar problem: it beeps 3 times repeatedly after it sleeps. If I leave the computer off for 4 (?) hours, when I open the lid, it makes these beeps I said.

When I press the turn on buttom for 5 seconds, it turns off the computer and I turn it on normally.

After delete the plugin, with 8 GB, does it work nice?

Thanks!

macbook pro memory problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.