Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mobile Device Service has stopped working. Vista SP2, iTunes 10.5

Hi there. I've been having an issue syncing my iPhone to iTunes. Here's a description of the problem:

-With an up-to-date Apple Mobile Device Service, error windows constantly pop-up saying that it has stopped working. If I close the error window, another one pops up fifteen seconds later.

-If I plug my iPhone into my computer, it is not recognized in iTunes, because Apple Mobile Device Service is not running.

-This error does not occur on my desktop PC, so I have been able to sync my iPhone by loading all of my files onto a USB and transferring them onto it. However, I would much rather not.

Here are the steps that I have taken:

-Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 10.5 with firewall off

-Individually uninstalled and reinstalled the Apple Mobile Device Service with firewall off

-Stopped and Restarted the Apple Mobile Device Service in Administrative Tools -> Services

-Extensively searched the internet for solutions

-Replaced Apple Mobile Device Service for iTunes 10.5 with Apple Mobile Device Service for iTunes 10.1 (This worked PARTIALLY. The error windows have now stopped popping up altogether, but I cannot sync with iTunes because the Apple Mobile Device Service is out of date. It asks me to update it, I agree, and I get the Apple Mobile Device Service that spawns error windows and still does not allow me to sync my iPhone.)

I am running Windows Vista SP2, and iTunes 10.5. My Internet Security suite is AVG Internet Security 2011. My iPhone is running iOS 5.0.0. Here is a full report of the error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

Application Version: 17.88.0.8

Application Timestamp: 4e66ceff

Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18449

Fault Module Timestamp: 4da47967

Exception Code: c06d007e

Exception Offset: 0003fc56

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: 599e

Additional Information 2: 30e036b93244793a42096718411570bd

Additional Information 3: 7229

Additional Information 4: 80ac1a21efab121ee7fb685acd0c57bc

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

iTunes 10.5 and AMDS-OTHER, Windows Vista, AMDS has stopped working

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 11:32 AM

5 replies

Dec 22, 2011 3:24 PM in response to _Ripples

Just a shot in the dark, but have you downloaded any program from Megaupload, like MegaKey? If so then that is your problem. I had been having the exact same problem for the past 2 weeks. I couldn't figure out what it was and tried everything that you have.. Then was on a board and someone mentioned Megakey. Having tried everything else, I uninstalled the program and reinstalled the current ITunes and AMDS. My Ipad and Iphone connected with no problem.

Apple Mobile Device Service has stopped working. Vista SP2, iTunes 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.