Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black lines/blocks issue in Screen Sharing window

I'm experiencing black lines and blocks in the Screen Sharing window when I share the screen from my Mac Mini (10.7.2) to my MacbookPro (10.7.2). After first connecting the screen looks like this or something similar.

User uploaded file

When I move a window around on the remote computer (Mac Mini) from my Screen Sharing app the black lines/patterns go away. Like the screen has to refresh. I can 'whipe' the screen from black artifacts by dragging a remote window like a whiper around the remote screen. Sometimes they show up again later in the same session. And give results like this:

User uploaded file

Hopefully someone has an idea how to solve this. The Mini Mac (2,33 Ghz i5, 2Gb RAM, 500Gb) is brand new, bought just two days ago. I reinstalled Lion to see if it solved the problem, but it didn't.

Thanks for any help.

Jan Peeters

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2,33 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 500Gb storage

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 7:03 AM

I figured it was a graphics memory problem because of the slow redraw.

I bought 8Gb RAM for my Mac Mini (Corsair DD3 1333Mhz 10600 for €32) installed it and gone was the problem.

Sorry, this is not the solution. After a while the problem returned.

4 replies

Dec 25, 2012 11:19 PM in response to jeeepeee

I had the same problem after upgrading to ML 10.8.x

Whenever I connected to my Mac mini using Screen Sharing, I had the black lines issue.

After many trial an error, I discovered it was related to fact I was using my Mac mini headless.

It seems the GPU video driver isn't loaded when there is no monitor connected and turned on.

It this case, the screen redraw is probably slower and needing more shared memory.

I found those solutions:

http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/33839671756/build-a-dummy-dongle-for-a-headless -mac-mini

http://www.geeks3d.com/20091230/vga-hack-how-to-make-a-vga-dummy-plug/

It solved the problem for me. Still I would prefer a software solution to force the use of the GPU.

Claude

Black lines/blocks issue in Screen Sharing window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.