10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 8:41 PM by Apnewbie
Apnewbie Level 4 (3,825 points)

You can't see your data; you have no idea where it is, where it is stored, except perhaps somewhere in Cupertino.

You can't manage your data like you would any other server.  You can't delete it, you can't wipe the "iDisk", i.e., iCloud.

You can't stop the iCloud monster, once you have turned it on, from collecting your information from your local drive as you select items for storage.

You can't delete the account.  Once the iCloud monster has your stuff, you can't turn it off, wipe it, delete it, make it go away.  There is no option for this that I can find.

It's free.   Sure it is.  You bet it is.  The iCloud monster will gladly take all the information you are willing to give it, and keep it.  Speculate as to why.

Even if you are ok with all of the above, you can't make it work correctly, as advertised. 

I loathe having a conspiratorial view on anything, I really do, and I am not one to rant in these forums.   I treasured the little iDisk server, managed from the Finder application, or any number of other webdav clients. 

But the more I try to live with this, "iCloud", the more I want to call it, "iFind, iCollect, iKeep" as I see fit and maybe 'iWork' with you, or not. 

No telling what else, "iUpto".

• mauijiminar Level 4 (1,660 points)

Get over it and move on.

• stevejobsfan0124 Level 2 (310 points)

iThink this would classify as a rant, even if you don't say it is. As for a solution, it is as simple as Settings > iCloud > Delete Account.

• Apnewbie Level 4 (3,825 points)

Settings where?  On any number of devices?  iPad, iPhone?  Pick one.  "Delete Account" on all of them.  The information is still there, it still comes back.  Tell me how to delete the account, period, and erase all stored information on the remote server.

I'll be happy to get over it and move on.      And sorry about the rant. 

If you are willing to start out fresh, have Apple disable your Apple ID and make a new one.

• Philly_Phan Level 6 (13,226 points)

Apple IDs can not be disabled.

Well there you have it. 

*cough**cough* ok, don't use that Apple ID then, and disassociate it with your iCloud account, or restore your devices to factory settings.

But yes they can be disabled. There are some people on here who actually have problems with their Apple ID getting disabled, but in this case that is what you want.

I understand you can wipe your devices, restore factory settings or whatever; but I never said anything about devices in my op. 

What you failed to grasp was my dissatisfaction with the inability to manage my remote data.  It's as if, once I allow it to migrate to the "Cloud", I no longer own it or have control over it.  

Give me a good reason for this.

• Philly_Phan Level 6 (13,226 points)

stevejobsfan0124 wrote:

*cough**cough* ok, don't use that Apple ID then, and disassociate it with your iCloud account, or restore your devices to factory settings.

But yes they can be disabled. There are some people on here who actually have problems with their Apple ID getting disabled, but in this case that is what you want.

Apple IDs can not be disabled.

Time for me to officially apologize for the rant.

Found a solution for the stubborn Safari bookmark syncing in iCloud, and have placed it on a page that will hopefully help others dealing with this problem.

http://web.me.com/mark8heaton/iCloudBookmarks/iCloud_Bookmarks.html

Data in iCloud is application specific and has to be managed from the application(s) that generated / uploaded the content from the home Mac.

In this manner, data can be erased if necessary. 

I've gotten through the curve.

-Mark