Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal not syncing properly

All of a sudden recently, iCal won't sync when I make an entry. I've tried several different configurations and iCal only suncs between iCloud and my iPhone but not on my Mac, which runs OS 10.6.8. My calendars synced fine before and after I got my iPhone but it wasn't until recently that iCal stopped syncing on my Mac. Anybody know why this is? I would have thought it was a Snowleopard/Lion issue but since it was syncing before I upgraded to Snow Leopard, that's obviously not the case.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 6:16 AM

13 replies

Dec 14, 2011 10:23 AM in response to MKatzenbach

The Apple dude (I love 'em loads) was incorrect. I've got Lion, 10.7.2, iPhone, iPad 2, iTunes - ALL current and up to date. But syncing simply stopped a week ago. I sync thru iTunes rather than the cloud (burned too many times by the last fiasco). But somehow it's all come to a stop.

This happened to me a year ago (so all different systems then). I just can't remember what file I deleted on my MacBook Pro that returned everything to normal. Grrrrr.

Dec 30, 2011 1:30 AM in response to MKatzenbach

Bookmarking and bumping. My calendars stopped syncing from my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.0.1) to my MacBook Air (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) either when I updated to iOS 5, or when I turned off MobileMe. I prepared for losing MobileMe by turning off all cloud syncing preferences and finally shutting down MobileMe. I tethered my iPhone to my Mac via USB, selected syncing of calendar and contacts in iTunes, and synced.

Contacts Result: Duplicated contacts on both the iPhone and the Mac, which I resolved by manually deleting dupes on the Mac and doing a one-time replacement to the iPhone. Cause not determined.

Calendar Result: All appointments intact on iPhone, but nothing, nada, on the Mac. All gone. Repeated efforts to sync, delete prefs files (and whatever other stabs in the dark found online), and still nothing. The iPhone's calendar data will not sync to iCal. I still haven't solved the question of why I have three "Home" calendars on my iPhone. I've never created a calendar, but my original seems to have propagated to three through sycning or something. I can live with that; I just want to be able to snyc those calendars from iPhone to Mac.

I will not be updating to Lion (for my own good reasons), nor will I move to iCloud. I question, even, why I went to iOS 5, but that's neither here nor there. I say this because, in many threads, experienced forum veterans will often recommend moving to Lion (even to those like me who are not going to), implying that this is a cure-all, but offering no explanation. iOS 5 and Snow Leopard can co-exist, so the advice I need has to fit within that.

I may have to post this in its own thread, but this one was close to what's happening with me. I'm not sure it's an iCloud problem because I find similar complaints on older, pre-iCloud threads, and it's happening to me, no-iCloud.

Jun 2, 2012 12:03 PM in response to MKatzenbach

FWIW, I HAVE upgraded to Lion, and the only way my iPhone calendar syncs with my mac iCal is via iTunes sync. Really weird is that if I make an entry on my phone, it WILL sync to my MB calendar, just not the other way around.

Dogs 'n Front wrote:

Well, according to Apple support, the problem lies with not having Lion as my operating system. They told me that I need to upfrade to Lion in order for iCal to be able to sync properly. Otheriwise I will need to physically hook up my phone in order to sync the calendar.

Dec 4, 2012 11:22 AM in response to petitsuix

I just spent a bunch of time with Apple and have solved my similar problem. A week ago, iCal and my iPhone calendar stopped syncing. My assortment of iCal calendars were gone from iCloud, so that was the problem (not phone to iCloud). After much de-selecting and re-selecting, I realized that all my important calendars were @me.com type. I tested the iCloud calendars, and they functioned perfectly. Apple explained a simple way to migrate the @me.com calendars to iCloud:

Create a new iCloud calendar File > New Calendar > iCloud

Name the calender

Right click the old @me.com calendar and choose Export. Desktop is a good destination.

Drag the exported calendar from your desktop to the new iCloud calendar

iCal should show duplicates of all events in the @me.com calendar.

De-select the @me.com calendar. The duplicates will disappear.

Repeat with all the @me.com calendars and abandon this antiquated list.

Rejoice in your shiny new list of iCloud calendars that shows up everywhere it is supposed to.

There must be a lot of people out there who still have @me.com calendars, so I hope this info reaches them before they all spend time and money with Apple trying to sort it out.

iCal not syncing properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.