Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro compatible ram

Hi all,

hopefully a fairly simple one: I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB Ram. I know I need PC2-5300 DDR2 667 MHz Type RAM, however is there such a thing as 'Mac' specific ram any more, or can I get any generic PC ram with the above spec? In the days of my Powerbook G4 I had to find Mac Ram, but now that I using an Intel logic board does it matter? Thanks!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:38 PM

Macs are picky about RAM.

macsales.com has earned the loyalty of many on the forum. The site asks the model/year, and sells RAM that is *tested by them to be compatible* with the unit. 8 GB for MBP is about $60.

6 replies

Dec 12, 2011 1:09 PM in response to steve359

Thanks. That's the mantra I've always adheared to for the past 21 years. However, this is my first 'Intel' Mac, hence I was speculating that the days of compatibility issues may be behind us? Afterall, in terms of the logic board, isn't one C2D laptop more or less the same as another? I realise of course that Apple has specific firmware and hardware design considerations, but in terms of Memory do I still need to shop around for Mac-specific? There are so many 'new' modules on ebay that sellers have pulled from new PC Laptops before upgrading...

Dec 12, 2011 1:19 PM in response to efunc

Yes, you do. Many modules sold by vendors who don't cater specifically to Mac users might work in your machine, but you're always safer buying from a vendor who knows Macs. And when you buy from one, you get a lifetime warranty. Buy RAM from some guy on Ebay, and when it fails to work the day you receive it or two years later, you're out of luck.

Dec 12, 2011 1:23 PM in response to efunc

macsales.com/OWC made a reputation by adhering to Apple specifications for all characteristics, and is very recommended (as is crucial.com) for selling memory that "simply works without issue". And it comes with a LIFETIME warranty.

Your call on "searching more" for a $60 item that for many is a no-brainder-decision ... no offense intended, just what I gather from reading the forum.

Macbook Pro compatible ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.