Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP will not boot up with USB devices connected

I have a late 2010 MBP 15 10.7.2 that will no longer boot up if any USB devices are attached. A dongle, a hub, anything. It goes to the gray screen and stays there. Disconnecting all USB devices the MBP will boot up. Then connecting the USB devices they work. It just will not boot up with anything connected to the USB ports. I have reset PRAM, SMC and fixed disk permissions. Made sure login items are ok, and start up disk is correct. I cant really say when the problem started as it worked fine before, maybe on 10.7.1? Not sure.

Any suggestions for a fix?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 4:32 PM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2011 6:20 PM in response to popskull

I re-installed the 10.7.2 combo. It booted up with a non powered usb 4 port hub but it disabled it. Plugging it out then in again and it works. Looks like the USB firmware has changed somehow in 10.7.2, The hub works on PC's at work no problem, and it worked on the MBP without issue previously. Its not just the non powered hub its a powered hub, and other devices.

Any solutions?

MBP will not boot up with USB devices connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.