Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing an iBook G3 for resale

I just sold my iBook G3 which had been running Panther since I got it. I deleted my keychains manually and then I reinstalled the OS previous to Panther before shipping it to the buyer. At the beginning of the reinstall, I believe I elected to have it erase everything before install. Will this action have erased all my personal data safely?

ibook G3 12inch

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 5:54 PM

Yes sir. When you wipe install a hard drive like that it clears EVERYTHING from the drive and replaces it with the new files and you have the extra space to start over. You dont have anything to worry about, unless the person you sold it to has special powers.... :-) yup, don`t worry.

4 replies

Dec 13, 2011 3:19 AM in response to P. Matthew Russo

If using Disk Utility you would have had three options:

1. Erase … Would not have overwritten all previous data leaving some potentially recoverable

2. Erase Free Space … Would have overwritten previous data remaining after reformat

3. Security Options … Would have depended on option chosen - Zero Out Data would have overwritten, Don't Erase Data wouldn't have overwritten previous data

Dec 15, 2011 11:08 AM in response to P. Matthew Russo

Actually, doing a total reinstall does not clear everything from your hard drive. That can only be accomplished by securely erasing your hard drive, after which you would then install the OS again.

For future reference, that's done with Disk Utility -> Erase -> Security Options and choosing the 7-pass secure erase (Department of Defense standard), or the 35-pass erase option (really, really, really secure, but takes a long time and puts more wear on your hard drive).

You have to boot your Mac from the OS X install disk and run Disk Utility from there, since you can't erase the drive that Disk Utility is running on.

Erasing an iBook G3 for resale

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.