Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore old PowerBook G4 before/for Apple Recycle Program.

I have an old PowerBook G4 I need to send to Apple for its recycling program. But it's still got all of my stuff inside it I've just transferred it to my new MacBook. I need to wipe everything out before I can send it like erase the disk and restore its orginal settings. I know I should own the Lion dvd to be able to do this BUT thing is I have NO cd/dvd in the box. There's everything else as I purchased my MacBook in an Apple Store BUT there is NO such thing as a cd/dvd. Can I do the process in some other way or am I forced to bring the old computer to an Apple Store? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 17'' 

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 5:56 PM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2011 6:57 PM in response to applewarm

You can hook up your Powerbook in target disk mode to your MacBook Pro, and erase the hard drive from there. You'll need a firewire cable to attach the two systems. Boot the Powerbook while holding the T key down. A firewire symbol will be moving around the screen, hook up the firewire cable between the two system, and your Powerbook will now appear as another disk drive to your MBP. Bring up Disk Utility on the MBP and erase the Powerbook hard drive, recommend a secure erase which writes zero's to the hard drive. If it's going to be recycled, I don't know why you need do anything else but clear the hard drive.

Dec 13, 2011 12:39 PM in response to BGreg

That's interesting and I know how to do it 'cause I did the same exact process to transfer data from the PowerBook to the MacBook. I don't know if I'd need to then reinstall OS X which I cannot do since as said I don't have the installer. But if it's enough to just erase the disk I think your suggestion can be the solution so thank you!

Restore old PowerBook G4 before/for Apple Recycle Program.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.