Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match syncing playcounts from plays on iOS devices

Can anyone confirm if playcounts are syncing between iOS devices (or any devices) over iTunes match? This was an issue, but iTunes 10.5.2 was released today and I was hoping that this update addressed this issue.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 5:57 PM

9 replies

Dec 14, 2011 7:45 AM in response to erik190

It seems, in my experience, that play count and last played date information will get updated in icloud between PCs (Windows, Mac, etc.) but does not get updated when played from an iOS device. I noticed that all my smart playlists that rely on last played date and/or play counts are completely broke on my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) but are fine on my 2 computers. This seemed to start happening after the latest update to iTunes. What i am hoping is that an update to iOS will fix this issue.

Dec 14, 2011 1:13 AM in response to frankneill

No filx here either with 10.5.2. I have come up with something to get me by until a fix comes. It's a pain in the rear but I guess it'll have to do until this gets figured out.

My "Recently Played" playlist on my iPhone gets updated (set for 1 day), so what I have started doing (and I hope it is a VERY TEMPORARY thing) is creating a new playlist on my iPhone at the end of the day, then copying the songs from the "Recently Played" list to the new playlist. It shows up on my computer almost immediately and I play through it once--with volume muted--after I go to bed.

If you don't care about last played date, Mac users can upldate the playcount with an Applescript.

This is pretty much the main reason I have not enabled iTunes Match on my iPod Touch.

Dec 14, 2011 6:22 AM in response to Stephanie Bargenquast

Stephanie Bargenquast wrote:

If you don't care about last played date, Mac users can upldate the playcount with an Applescript.

This is pretty much the main reason I have not enabled iTunes Match on my iPod Touch.

I don't know about Mac, but using Windows automation to update the last played date or play count does not update the cloud, which is another bug IMO.

I'm in the same boat - haven't enabled it on any of my iOS devices.

Bruce

Dec 27, 2011 4:03 AM in response to mlangdon

I'm having the same experience. Plays on my computer increase the Play Count, but plays on my iPhone and iPad don't get registered. This is annoying as I mainly use Last FM for counting plays, but it means it wont scrobble plays on my devices as they don't increase the Play Count. I've not found a reliable app to do it either, so I've resorted to just playing music on the go on my iPod, which seems to still work (ie not on iTunes Match).

Jan 10, 2012 7:51 AM in response to erik190

Ever since I got Match, none of my plays on my iPhone 4S sync back to alter the playcounts on the Mac, as they always used to (before Match). It has been driving me crazy and I've found out how to correct it..

Turn off Match. I've just verified that playcounts do now increase on Mac when they are played on the iPhone following a sync.

This also sorts the issue of artwork not syncing from Mac to iPhone (lots of other people, myself included, have been having this problem).

Bit of a pain to turn off Match, seeing as I paid for it, but it does then sync all the music into the iPhone and thus eliminate the problem of large data usage when you play music when you are out of wi-fi. Every cloud and all that..

iTunes Match syncing playcounts from plays on iOS devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.