Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

display screen shifts to left and right

Hi, The display on my new iMac will occasionally shift about 1 to 2 inches to the left or to the right. It will hold that position for several seconds. During this time the system is unresponsive to the keyboard or mouse entries. If the screen first shifted left it will then shift right, still off center but in the other direction. The screen will then re-center itself and responsiveness returns. This may occur 4 or 5 times during the course of an evening. The problem was worse when I primarily used Safari as the browser. It happens less with Foxfire.

Suggestions or answers?

Thanks,

Fred

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:22 PM

18 replies

Dec 12, 2011 11:11 PM in response to frederickfromdobbs ferry

If it is the entire display doing the shifting, rather than just the Safari (or other) window shifting and leaving the desktop steady, it would probably be advisable to contact Aple's Customer Support. You may need to get it repaired or replaced under warranty, which should still be in effect if it is a new machine.

You can grab the phone number via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right of this page.

Dec 21, 2011 6:58 PM in response to hediheathbar

Hi Heather,

No. It is still an issue. I called support and they had me power off the machine, unplug then start up again. Then had me reboot while holding down some keys that were to flush out the memory. For awhile I thought it might have worked, but it still does it.

Somewhere else I read to turn off zoon in the preferences for universal access. That was already off. My machine came with Lion.

I don't use Safari anymore. I seemed like it was worse when I used it. At least it seems that way.

Good luck!

Best,

Fred

Oct 14, 2012 3:07 PM in response to frederickfromdobbs ferry

Hey Fred - did you ever get this resolved? (Screen shifts left, then right, all the while unresponsive?)

I got a brand new iMac (well refurbed, but new to me) and this has been happening since day 1. They keep saying they will fix it and several tech support calls and two in store repairs later.... Nothing. Now they are talking about replacing my logic board, but it seems like wild guesses all around as they haven't really heard of this before.

Hoping you figured out the problem??

Thanks

jessica

Dec 3, 2012 4:41 PM in response to frederickfromdobbs ferry

I've been having this exact problem for months. I'm not sure if it has been happening since I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, but it's possible. It happens every day but not at predictable intervals. Apple just replaced my hard drive for free because it was one of the Seagate drives they had discovered were prone to failure. I was hoping that the problem would be gone when I'd restored my backup to the new hard drive, but no such luck. It's still doing it. I mentioned it to the Genius when I took the computer in for the hard drive and they did try to work on the problem, but they were unable to reproduce it! (Wouldn't you know?) They suggested I video it so they can see what I'm talking about but so far I haven't succeeded in doing that. Obviously other people do have this problem. It's very annoying because I have to stop what I'm doing while the iMac does its little shifting thing.

I wonder if it would help to upgrade to Mountain Lion? Any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2012 1:57 PM in response to Patita1

Unfortunately I was never able to figure out what it was that caused this! After several visits and several repairs and several escalations up the ladder - I finally got someone to authorize an exchange. They could not reproduce it on my computer either, but after extensive questioning, it turns out they do not actually sit at the machine and use it, they just run diagnostic software on it that is supposed to catch things like that, but clearly it does not catch this.

Overall though, this is a glitch that apple has not yet identified as a problem and in my experience, person after person will tell you they have never heard of it (or worse, act as if you are making this up). My experiences with this problem and apple's response (or lack thereof) has actually caused me to switch back to a PC after seven years as a die hard apple fan. That being said, Matt was extremely helpful and didnt act as if I was insane, so he may be able to be of help to you as well.

gluck Patita!

<Edited by Host>

Dec 3, 2012 5:56 PM in response to j3leo

Well, since I typed my first message, I read the one from Clinton (cyourth) and changed the mouse gesture settings as he suggested and -- tada! -- the screen has not shifted for at least an hour. Problem seems to be solved. I'll report back here if it starts again.

So it turns out to be a problem that actually isn't a problem because it's a setting issue! And someone would know that how??? I never changed those settings myself, so Lion certainly seems to be the culprit. Weird! I fretted and fumed over this for months. Moral: If you have a problem, always go to Apple discussions. Chances are someone will have had the same issue.

Cheers.

Mar 25, 2013 5:08 PM in response to frederickfromdobbs ferry

I also had the same issues. The screen would shift right and left on both my 21" and 27" iMacs for no apparent reason. I'm fairly certain that it's tied to the mouse and the hand gesture functionality. If you turn off the swipe between pages on the Mighty Mouse preferences within system preferences I think your problems will be solved. It worked for me.

display screen shifts to left and right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.