Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac to Vizio HDTV via HDMI: Random "No Signal" Issue

Hello,

Has anyone found a way to avoid the annoying "No Signal" issue on some Vizio HDTV's when a Mac is connected to it via HDMI?

I have had a Vizio E260MV HDTV for a few weeks. It functions as designed, but a blue screen with the words "No Signal" pop up after a few minutes of no computer input (tried a Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, both with Mac OS 10.7x). Just a tap of the mouse is all that is needed to bring the screen back to life. The HDTV seems to require some changing video signal (like the constantly moving picture of TV, movie, etc.) to stay active, but I can't quite seem to find out the parameters of that "trigger". I have tried a variety of web sites and applications that display visual activity, but the No Signal screen invariably returns anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. Surprisingly, my 55" Vizio HDTV does not have this issue and I thought for sure that the internal software/firmware for this task would be roughly the same on all Vizio models.

So, am I missing something and/or is there a work around for this issue? I have a few ideas of how I could trick the Vizio into staying active with an AppleScript or something, but all time-consuming in the experimentation.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Apple TV, iPhone, and more..., Mac OS X (10.6.7), My photo is up on Apple's Marketing Department wall.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 7:15 AM

6 replies

Dec 13, 2011 7:20 AM in response to Dr. Z.

Are you using the same video adapter or cable in each computer?

Except for certain Mac Minis the rest of the Macs don't have HDMI support directly. It is possible the problem is with the adapter or cable used. Make sure they all support HDMI 1.3. If connecting via DVI, it is possible the connector nobs aren't locking it in place straight on if they are bent. Try a different cable.

For each machine you have to make sure you are using a supported adapter. Let's look at one machine at a time, and tell us where the hookup is?

Dec 13, 2011 7:33 AM in response to a brody

Just to make sure all understands, YES, I am successfully able to connect all of the Macs tested to the Vizio HDTV via HDMI cable. The issue is the Vizio HDTV keeping that signal active when it senses no activity from the Mac. In fact, I am using the Vizio as a monitor right now and it has never interrupted me with the No Signal screen when I have been actively using it.

So, yes, I have tried multiple recently purchased and quality HDMI cables. The Mac Mini is a direct connection and the MacBook Pro used a Monoprice Apple Mini-Display to HDMI adapter.

Dec 14, 2011 5:54 AM in response to Dr. Z.

Check the Energy Saver settings of the display from the on-display menu operated by the display's remote control.

It may need to be set for a longer period of inactivity to prevent this disconnect from happening. Make sure it is longer than that which is in Apple menu -> System preferences -> Energy Saver on the Mac.

Dec 14, 2011 6:06 AM in response to a brody

Thanks, but that is not the issue either...

My goal is to have the Vizio serve as a monitor for networked security cameras when not actually used as an HDTV. Therfore, my Mac Mini dedicated to this purpose is set up to "never sleep".

Primarily, this question should be answered by Vizio, but I have been unable to get past their basic support level mantra on the issue of "you need to contact Apple". I was hoping someone in the Mac Community had a work-around for the problem.

Dec 14, 2011 9:18 AM in response to Dr. Z.

The issue may just be a power issue with the HDMI bus of the Vizio. If you can reproduce the time it takes for it to get to no signal, connect to another display and see if the issue reproduces itself on a different display in the same amount of time. Ask to borrow a friend's display if you have to. That way, you know for certain if it is the system's settings or the display.

Dec 14, 2011 9:33 AM in response to a brody

Update:

I have had two weather applications (WX and Radarscope) displaying windows with animations in them for the last two hours and no manual computer input. The Vizio HDTV has remained connected to the signal. Previous tests with open windows from Safari and other applications showing visual activity made no difference. Odd, but at least I am onto a work-around for the annoying "No Signal" issue.

Thanks for the HDMI bus testing suggestion.

Mac to Vizio HDTV via HDMI: Random "No Signal" Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.