Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Hard drive ejecting

I have 4 Hard drives in my Mac Pro, which are all connected directly to the motherboard using the supplied cradles. One of them is constantly ejecting itself for some reason, and i get a message saying the disk was not ejected properley. I need to shut the computer down and start it again to get the drive to show. If i do a re-start it still wont show, i have to actually shut down first.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:10 AM

9 replies

Dec 29, 2011 9:28 AM in response to Pauly78

I e tried swapping bays and it's still the same, sometimes it ejects aft an hour, sometimes it takes 12 hours. But I always have to shut down the mac and restart it again. I really don't think this can be a hard drive issue - surely if it was a defective hard drive sometimes on restarting the mac it wouldn't work..

So in answer to your question. Kcannon, as of yet, no fix, just constantly shutting down and starting back up. I'm thinking of just buying a new one and transferring all my stuff to i and solving the issue, the only reason I'm hesitant is cos the HD isn't really that old.

Dec 29, 2011 10:33 AM in response to Pauly78

surely if it was a defective hard drive sometimes on restarting the mac it wouldn't work..

That will begin happening soon. The criteria for mounting at Startup are low. The criteria for staying mounted are higher. Make sure you have backups of that drive, as it WILL fail suddenly, and probably never work again.

"Any drive can fail at any time."

Dec 29, 2011 5:44 PM in response to Pauly78

I'm tending to agree with Grant, that this may be a hardware issue. I've tried a number of potential solutions I found online, none of which made any difference. In my case, the spontaneous ejects have always occurred when copying a large file to (not from) the drive in question. I have an identical drive in the same machine which seems rock solid in similar circumstances. I'm going to start using the 2nd drive in place of the 1st (possibly failing) one and see what happens. After a good backup, of course! Will report results.

Jan 9, 2012 3:51 PM in response to Pauly78

Following up on this issue. I purchased and installed a replacement drive, with assurances from the retailer that I could return the original "defective" one. Long story short, the new drive failed in the same way as the other, and in the end it turned out it was the data cable that was defective. I put a new cable on the original drive and it now works perfectly and throughput is excellent. Returned the replacement drive I had bought. Interestingly, the bad cable was a relatively expensive one, labled "SATA III," while the one that's working now is a cheapo brandx I had laying around. YMMV, but this is what worked for me.

Internal Hard drive ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.