Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My G-drive mobile is only recognized ocassionally.

It will always be recognized and mounted when I plug in with USB. However when I use the firewire 800 port, it will only see it occasionally. Does anyone know how I can make sure that every time I plug it in with firewire, it gets recognized?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 17" Mid 2009

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 3:03 PM

Have you checked to make sure the firewire cable is good?

5 replies

Dec 13, 2011 3:21 PM in response to sig

No I have no other devices that support firewire 800 in my house so i can't test the cable, but my internal hard drive crashed recently, and so i installed an operating system on my external hard drive, through usb, but when choosing the start up disk while booting it would see the firewire connection every time. Now that im back to using an internal hd It only recognizes when I plug the drive in occasionally.

May 21, 2012 11:56 AM in response to sam119

FWIW, I have two 1T G drive mobile disks. On both my Macbook Pro and my Mac Pro, the US 2 works fine with the expected read/write speeds. When I connect using the Firewire 800 ports, the read/write speed is quite slow. The speed is comparable to the USB 2 speeds or a bit less. This happens on both computers, different cables and different computer ports. It also happens with both G drives. I called the G drive tech support and was told that the Firewire should be 2-3 times faster than the USB 2. There maybe something flaky about the G drive interface. For the record, I also use several 500GB G mini drives with Firewire 800 with the expected performance implying that problems with my computers is less likely than some issue with the mobile drives.

My G-drive mobile is only recognized ocassionally.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.