Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovering stolen laptop

I sold my MacBook Pro to a friend when I bought a new one. Someone recently broke into her house and stole the laptop along with all her photography equipment, hard drives and 2 years worth of photographs, about $10,000. worth of stuff. It is no longer under AppleCare Warranty.Is there a way to recover the serial number for her? I gave her the laptop in the box my new one came in so she thought she had the serial number, but it is the serial number of my new MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:32 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2011 2:46 PM in response to kt4ever

Go to this page and log in with the same AppleID you use to post in these forums:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/DSAuthWeb.woa/wa/login?appIdKey=D531F1C 41BE58EA5BA864EA31A79DD0343C041D333CFA2246651628F0291F620

On the next page that loads, click the My Products tab. A list of Apple products that are registered to you will appear. If the computer you sold is registered to you, it will appear in that list — and so will its serial number.

If the registration was actually transferred to your friend, she can do the same thing to learn its serial number.

recovering stolen laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.