Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with adding leopard to a partition

I have been fighting this all day and am getting stuck. I have SN on a 500 GB disk. I am going to Lion, but a few programs won't work on Lion so I have to have Leopard on another patition. I was able to partition my drive to give 75GB for Leopard.

For the life of me I can't get leopard installed. Everytime I try to start the mac w the leopard disk it says the OSX can't be installed. Do I need to copy the DVD over to the drive and then open it?

Or is there a way to load leopard onto a partition that I am missing?

I can't find a good article. Can you give me exact steps please?

MacBook

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:49 PM

14 replies

Dec 13, 2011 3:23 PM in response to nelsonmay

Acording to what I have looked up, you did it backwards. If----- you install leopard first on one partition, then, you can install lion on the other. What happens is, it will not let you install an older OS over a newer version. Then after you install the two you can go to pref. folder to pick which one to boot into or just hold down the option key when booting to pick the OS. hope this helps.

Dec 13, 2011 3:30 PM in response to my ginger

That's not quite correct:

You cannot install an older version of OS X over a newer version. But you can first erase the newer version then install the older version. However, this is unnecessary if you are installing the older version onto a separate partition. You can have multiple partitions on a hard drive and install different versions of OS X on each one.

I think what you have in mind is when OS X and OS 9 could co-exist on the same volume. Startup Disk could be used to select which one you wanted to boot the computer. Such an arrangement is not possible with different versions of OS X.

In practice it makes no difference which OS X version was installed first.

Hope this explains it better for you.

Dec 13, 2011 4:42 PM in response to Kappy

To make sure I have everything straight from these posts I will need either a new drive or erased one. From there I will need to make a partition. Essentially 2 partitions. From there I load leopard first then load lion on the other partition

That way I can have the two opperating systems I want and can boot from either one

Dec 13, 2011 6:18 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy You could be right about the first part of your comment, as I have never felt the need to have two versions of OSX. But as to OSX and 9, they can excist on the same partition, because of clasic in OSX. And on the first OSX you installed OSX on the first eight gigs of the hard drive, then you could install OS9. If you did it the other way arround , it would not let you install OSX. So stated apple back then,and I tried it and found they were right. That is to say, I tried to install the early OSX on an Imac that allready had OS 9.

Dec 13, 2011 9:27 PM in response to Kappy

So what do you know.....I took an external FW drive and attached it to my mac pro. I partitioned it on my MBP. I was allowed to load leopard and Lion. I also partitioned my disk on my mac pro. I have snow leopard and I am currently writing leopard to the other partition. I am not suer what the MBP is trying to do.

I guess the next step is to back up or clone my MBP, take out the drive, format and partition it. Hook it up the the mac pro and install leopard and the Lion.

Any reason for the kindness coming from one machine and not the other?

help with adding leopard to a partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.