7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2011 2:31 AM by X423424X
Quantum3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Folks,

recently, one of the RAM sticks broke, so I'm thinking on upgrading to more RAM.

What do you think of this brand? It will work on an Mac Pro Early 2008?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583516-REG/Crucial_Technology_CT51272AP80E _4GB_FB_DIMM_Memory_for.html

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ø3 :)

MacPro Hapertown, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 8 cores 8 GB RAM
  • Quantum3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I currentñy have 4 GB in sticks of 1 GB x 4 and want to upgrade to 16 GB by using 4 sticks of 4 GB each. I think that's correct... I have red the order that RAM must be installed and so, but I'm asking just incase I've missed something. I'm still new for the Mac World ^^

• Network 23 Level 6 Level 6 (11,870 points)

Crucial is a good, reputable brand. I get mine from macsales.com. You do have to install it in pairs. But the pairs don't all have to be the same kind. My Mac Pro is older, but I have three different pairs installed since I upgraded RAM twice and never removed any of the previously installed RAM.

• X423424X Level 6 Level 6 (14,205 points)

Is that single 4GB stick a replacement for another 4GB stick?  If not then you need to reconsider the upgrade since dimms should be inserted in pairs (and from the same vendor) as illustrated below:

screenshot_1.png

For proper configurations from a reliable seller you should look at OWC.  Click on your model (2008) and a table will show the possible memory upgrade paths.  These are possible combinations made up of pairs of dimms.

Hi X423424X,

That's the drawing I still don't know if I'm getting it right.

I have 4 sticks of 1 GB each. Those are installed this way: 2 in Riser A and 2 in Riser B, so 2 slots free on each Riser.

But before the RAM got broken, it was:

Riser A: 2 of 1 GB each and 2 of 2 GB each.

Riser B: same than Riser A.

I'm thinking that I can put the 4 sticks of 1 GB each in 1 Riser A and the 4 sticks of 4 GB each on Riser B, if possible, of course.

What do you think?

Ø3

I have 4 sticks of 1 GB each. Those are installed this way: 2 in Riser A and 2 in Riser B, so 2 slots free on each Riser.

A   B

1  1   1

2  1   1

But before the RAM got broken, it was:

Riser A: 2 of 1 GB each and 2 of 2 GB each.

Riser B: same than Riser A.

A   B

1  1   1

2  1   1

3  2   2

4  2   2

I'm thinking that I can put the 4 sticks of 1 GB each in 1 Riser A and the 4 sticks of 4 GB each on Riser B, if possible, of course.

A   B

1  1   4

2  1   4

3  1   4

4  1   4

In your first two arrangements you followed the layouts as specified in the diagram.  So why would you consider this new asymetric arrangement which according to that diagram is invalid?  Why not use the second arrangment with the 2's replaced by the 4's?

A   B

1  1   1

2  1   1

3  4   4

4  4   4

Well... I didn't know what's invalid or valid, or symmetric or asymmetric on the Mac Pro memory slots. I used PC  for long 11 years. I thought that putting all the sticks of 1 GB in one Riser would be... I don't know... tidier than putting each one on each Riser. But now that I'm seeing your table, I understand the logic of all this

Thank you very much for your help X423424X!

Merry Christmass!!!

Ø3

Happy holidays to you too.