Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA TBtoVGA dongle projector display connect fail

latest macbook air 13" (MBA) with thunderbolt (TB) adapter

OSX 10.7.2

official apple TB to VGA adapter

6 foot VGA cable to projector

EPSON projector (older model)

turn on projector

turn on MBA

connect VGA cable to projector

connect VGA other end to VGA adapter

plug in the TB end of adapter into MBA

expected: projector seamlessly connects and resolves the resolution (this happens for windows based laptops where resolution on projector is automatically resized)

actual result: laptop tries to connect, LCD on MBA flickers, projector is recognized by the MBA but projector display still stays in idle mode and shows nothing as if nothing is connected to the projector.

please help, i've seen only one thread about this exactly same issue when running windows7 dualboot on mac. updating drivers resolved this problem but there is nothing available on MBA for display updates and no other solutions have been provided.

Note: i was able to connect to another projector and that worked flowlessly.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), thunderbolt vga EPSON projector

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:00 AM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2012 7:36 PM in response to rasoplast

No solution found yet. I find it is affecting new Macbook Airs and Pros and some of the last model of white Macbooks that upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. The only solution that is reliable is to use HDMI video output adapter. This is not a good solution for business travel because most of my customers will not have an HDMI project connection.

Jun 28, 2012 7:04 AM in response to SWFail

I just wanted to chime in here as well stating that I have the same problem, but on the new 2012 Macbook air. 1/5 displays will connect, so far it's worked on an LG TV, but has failed to display anything on a Skyworth TV, a old 17" monitor, an Epson projector and a Sanyo TV. This is my first mac ever and i'm severely disappointed that they can't get something as simple as connecting to a montior right.

MBA TBtoVGA dongle projector display connect fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.