Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash problems on Facebook using Safari

I seem to be having a problem when trying to play YouTube videos embedded on Facebook.

When I click the links, I get a message saying: "Flash Player upgrade required."

and under it, it says, "You need to download and install the lastes version of Adobe Flash Player to view this content"

and also a green button saying "Get Flash Player"

I never had this problem before and thought the plug ins were suppsed to be built into the operating system.

I even tried downloading Flash manually but still it didnt fix it.

PLEASE HELP

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mac OS X Lion

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:08 AM

13 replies

Feb 11, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Nasser Al Hashimi

A month ago I started having problems with YouTube videos on Safari. My problem was not exactly the same as yours, so the solution I found, thanks for this forum, may not work; but this is what I did.

1) I reset Safari, deleting the cache and deleting all cookies. I exited Safari.

2) I deleted all Flash cookies, using the Flush utility mentioned by Carolyn. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Are there any other utilities available that can perform the same function? Here's a webpage that discusses how to delete flash cookies manually: http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/13/delete-flash-cookies/.

3) I rebooted the computer.

4) I uninstalled Flash player using the Flash uninstaller: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/909/cpsid_90906.html.

5) I then installed the up-to-date Flash player.

6) I ran the Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility.

6) I re-booted the computer.

Suddenly I was able to watch YouTube videos again.

I suspect you have already done all of this, but it can't hurt to try it again. Good luck!

Feb 12, 2012 7:20 AM in response to Beren

I tried all of that and I even did it one more time.. Thanks but.. it still doesn't work.. I did everything!

I CAN watch YouTube videos. I can even watch them embedded on Twitter and other websites. They just don't work on Facebook. I even tried having people log on their Facebook from my computer just to make sure it wasn't something to do with my account. YouTube videos embedded on Facebook don't work on my computer and I have no idea why, I tried everything..

Jan 1, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Nasser Al Hashimi

There is absolutely no doubt about it; Both Apple Developers following guidelines for power saving, google's beef that iOS8 uses Bing more than Google, the Problem Between Adobe and Apple with Fklash, and the worst of all, it seems than not only are Adobe m,aking it difficult for Apple's Safari to keep up with the times, but that even YOUTUBE declares some formats of video to be unplayable in Safari, and gives a notification that this browser is no longer supported. Safari is in truth right now, only half a browser, and is in danger of becoming something like the mozilla browser = defunct. I find this a shame becase i use safari in many of my websites with siri to speak and type my blogs, and it doesnt work in firefox or opera, only safari, as dfo keyboard vocabulary shortcus (for example if i write l+l+k it will rewrite it to "Lek Lai Kaya Siddhi Elemental Substance", saving me hours of typing with my shorthand keyboard spelling correction tricks)

Safari Developers and Apple have to forget trying to power save to make iPad look more powerful, and try to put more power into Safari and iOS, instead of use less power, Make more Power!

Safari is teetering on the edge of extinction due to the fact it is unusable in many major domains such as FB or Youtube. Flash driven websites also cause keyboard deactivation when timeouts occur.

Feb 28, 2015 12:26 AM in response to Olivier Pulinx

for safari i found this solution here helpful

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/15/html5-ify-flash-player-in-os-x-lion-with-this-ligh tweight-safari-extension/

and this for safari and Facebook (needs the html5-plugin above)

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

for firefox:

i use lion and an old version of firefox /(3.6) with flash 11.1.102.64 - that works like a charm.

keep a newer version of firefox on the computer in case i need it (for online banking or ebay).

hope this can help someone.

Flash problems on Facebook using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.