Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open project file

Hello!

I'm in desperate need of a miracle here. I've already read over other solutions to this problem, but perhaps someone can come up with something I haven't. I'm using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, and I finished a project last month that took a lot of editing work. After the project finished, I cleaned up my folders as usual, copying over all the media and the FCP project file over to my network external hard drive. I then made the horrific mistake of deleting my autosave files. Little did I know I'd want to access the project later, and instead of opening and having to reconnect my media, it just comes up with the error of "unable to open project file".

I've tried copying the project file I saved in November back to my local computer and opening it. I tried dismounting the network external hard drive and opening my local project file. I tried adding a .fcp to the end of the file's name. And I downloaded Pro Maintenance Tools in a hope that it could fix the corrupted file, it said it was fixed, but I still can't seem to open it. All my other FCP files are opening just fine.

I'm also interested if anyone knows whether my deleting everything FCP created except for the project file might be why it crashed?

Thank you in advance to anyone who even reads this hoping they can help.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 2:00 PM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2011 4:51 AM in response to icadmedia

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps someone else with greater tech skills will chime in on this and be able to suggest a solution. Deleting or changing the location of the files you mentioned earlier in the thread can certainly complicate and add time to a new edit but should not have caused the problem you've encountered in getting the project file to open.

Good luck.

Russ

Dec 17, 2011 7:43 AM in response to Russ H

if you want to send the project file to me, I'll see if there's anything obvious going on. My email is in my profile. If you attach it to an email, be sure to compress it first (fcp projects can get corrupted when they're attached directly to an email).

Is your external network drive formatted macosextended? If not, that might be the source of the problem. Mac files don't always play well with pc drives (and sometimes networks).

Unable to open project file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.