Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder takes a long time to open certain folders

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a problem with Lion's Finder which I can't figure out. Spontaneously, Finder will start to produce the spinning dots within Finder, but not display the contents of a folder. I can access the folder fine if I copy and paste it elsewhere though, and it also works fine if I access through Windows using Parallels. The problem appears to just be Finder. Repairing Permissions and Verifying the disk also produce no results. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:01 PM

Go to Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.finder.plist.lockfile.

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

com.apple.sidebars.plist.lockfile

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2011 6:01 PM in response to leefisher

Go to Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.finder.plist.lockfile.

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

com.apple.sidebars.plist.lockfile

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

Jan 22, 2012 12:57 AM in response to macjack

I am having the same issue, sometimes Finder may not display the folder contents at all and the wheel keeps on spinning in the bottom right corner of the Finder window.

Did the solution above work for others? What usually works for me is relaunching the Finder but I'm concerned this may influence other applications running at the same time.

Feb 5, 2012 4:48 AM in response to macjack

I deleted the Finder .plist and .lockfiles as suggested. Unfortunately the problem came back today. Odd thing is it doesn't happen to all folders at the same time. I have for example Documents and Downloads folders sharing the same parent folder. One of them is displayed by the Finder normally while the other shows the everlasting spinning wheel at the same time.

The folder below is located within my Documents folder which doesn't display either:

User uploaded file

I do notice however, the folder which is displayed correctly initially is not updated when new files are added ...

Back to relaunching the Finder unfortunately until I get some new suggestions ...

Finder takes a long time to open certain folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.