Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe adapter recall

Has anyone gotten a free MagSafe charger due to fraying? I am wondering whether I am going to have to turn in my frayed (but working) charger and thus be without a charger until the new one arrives. I find it strange that there is no information about this on the Apple page about the replacement program... they just say bring it to an Apple service provider for evaluation.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:13 PM

33 replies

Jan 29, 2012 9:05 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

I have one of these from a Mac Book Pro I bought 2-3 years ago. I took it into Computer World in Appleton Wisconsin (apple authorized seller) and they told me that they wouldnt replace it unless they could determine its faulty or shows outward signs of stress.

I asked them if I should come back after my house burned down. They still wouldnt replace my power adaptor.

Jan 30, 2012 8:37 AM in response to SteveTrabajars

SteveTrabajars wrote:

...and they told me that they wouldnt replace it unless they could determine its faulty or shows outward signs of stress.

Which is exactly what Apple's adapter replacement program description says:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127

It's not a recall of all adapters. It's a program to replace adapters that exhibit a particular kind of failure. Yours apparently hasn't, so it isn't eligible for replacement. And unless it fails in the specific manner that would make it eligible for replacement, it can't spark unpredictably. Relax.

Feb 16, 2012 5:06 PM in response to cmickle

My magsafe power adapter caught fire in the surge protector power strip, about 2 hours ago, at the site of the prong. I moved the power strip slightly, and the heavy adapter wiggled on the strip, zapped, shot out sparks and very small flames that extinguished right away after I removed it from the power strip, and poofed out a bit of smoke and soot all over the plug, the outlet, and the nearby plug for my iphone (which was fine, just soot-covered on one side). Thanking God that I was right there when it happened. Prior to this incident, the magsafe power adapter had no visible wear whatsoever, no fraying at the magsafe connection to the computer, no nicks in the length of the cord itself, and the adapter and plug looked new just like the cable cord and magsafe connector. My MacBook Pro is about 8 years old. The battery is practically shot, so I do keep the computer plugged. Ironically, I was just complaining about this computer at BestBuy today, while looking for an extension cable for the power cord (the one it comes with is frankly too short), because it has been a lemon from the start. I'm posting this in reply to Steve Trabajars' comment above, especially because there was honestly no visible wear at all on the magsafe power adapter, and the surge protector was less than one year old, again, clean, no visible wear. I reported this to Apple Support and was immediately transfered to a representative obviously trained for this kind of event, so there is a problem with these adapters, and you should pursue getting yours replaced via the website, and @Steve, report your Wisconsin store for not addressing the problem. Visual inspection of the magsafe/cablecord/adapter and plug means nothing, apparently, in my case.

Jun 7, 2012 12:01 PM in response to cmickle

Likewise in Canada -- I had an original "T" shaped adapter that failed, and when I took it to the Apple Store, they informed me that the replacement program was only valid in the US. I also verified this with Apple Support on the phone as well.

If you purchased this outside of the US, you are responsible for purchasing another.

Jul 10, 2012 11:15 PM in response to SimCrook

Yep, Second time I have had this issue (in Canada). First time, was lucky enough to get an Apple store CSR that cared, and they just handed me a replacement.

Silly me, I thought that would happen a year later when the replacement started to fray. Nope. This time they immediately refused due to extreme wear and tear. They basically suggested that I had done that to my power adapter. Safety issues are not a concern here, but if they are, you should purchase a new power adpater.

sooo disappointed.

MagSafe adapter recall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.