Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7 error: this project is unreadable or may be too new

I have been having a slew of problems with a very large FCP project recently (about 6.25 TB of media split between a 6 TB RAID and a USB 3 connected 1 TB external drive). Sometimes I get "out of memory" when trying to render, sometimes the program file simply crashes out of nowhere. I have tried a number of troubleshooting tactics and I am aware that a certain amount of crashing and trouble is normal with FCP.

BUT recently after the program file crashed, I went back to the autosave vault and tried to open the most recent file and got this error message: "this project is unreadable or may be too new for this version of final cut." It makes no sense because I have been working with the same FCP version and system OS version (Snow Leopard) since the beginning of the project.

This has got me spooked and I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

I'm working with a Mac Pro, 2m93 GHz 6 core, 12 GB memory, version 10.6.8

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:28 PM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2011 4:33 PM in response to embot

Also, want to add that I am not looking for a quick fix since I have been able to re-open the original project file and re-do lost work. Rather I would like suggestions as to how to purify my system. Should I dump caches? Old render files? Reset P-Ram?

FCP has been doing some other odd things that I didn't mention such as showing visuals from clips that don't match what is playing in the sequence. It's like I have a poltergeist!

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2011 7:57 AM in response to embot

The important issue here is not the amount of media associated with the project, but the size of the project file. Generally, It's wise to keep your fcp projects under about 100 mbs. You can do a save as and delete old sequences, etc. Or copy things to a different projects and delete them from your working project. One of the great things in fcp, is that you can work with multiple projects open at the same time.

Apr 4, 2012 2:20 PM in response to embot

I had been having various issues with my system for some time, so I started from scratch with a clean install of Snow Leopard & FCS last week. Now I am having this issue with one of my old projects. I have trashed preferences & tried versions from the Autosave Vault & an older version from my Time Machine backup & every one is giving me the same error message. (btw.. the file is only 21 MB) The crazy thing is the file opened just fine on another FCS system here at work. Does anyone have any additional insight to this problem? Any suggestions? Do I need to reinstall FCS.... again! Will that even help or will I just get the error message again?

FCP 7 error: this project is unreadable or may be too new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.