Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling power management on wireless nic

Hi,

Is it possible to disable the power management/power save mode for the wireless nic in os x? In ubuntu, it can be done using iwconfig (ex. iwconfig wlan0 power off )

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 7:22 PM

7 replies

Jul 16, 2012 11:33 PM in response to thesoundguys

I don't believe there is such a setting; however, there is a workaround you can implement that should help keep the system connected by having it automatically turn Wi-Fi off and back on to re-establish any lost connections whenever it does not have a proper IP configuration:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57347274-263/wi-fi-network-not-connecting-a fter-sleep/

Jul 18, 2012 5:51 AM in response to Topher Kessler

No, that's not what I've been looking for.

Just like what Kinga1234 said, this is a setting that can cause conflict with some wireless access points that don't support this feature. And if the laptop is sitting idle for a few minutes, it goes into a low wifi powered state that becomes noticeable with some programs and causes lag. So I've been trying to find a way to disable it in Mac OS X. I've gotten it for Windows and Linux / Ubuntu.

EDIT: The connection doesn't get lost, so turning it off/back on won't fix it, it just becomes low powered like I stated above.

Jul 18, 2012 8:23 PM in response to godzillafan8686

True, the connection doesnt get lost, but the Cisco Lightweight Access Points recognise the Macbook has dropped into a Low power/Power management state after a few minutes of no network activity. A show client on the console of the WLAN controller shows the client has dropped into a power management state after a few minutes of inactivity, not inactivity on the machine, but network inactivity.

WLANCONTROLLER#>show client detailX.X.X

Client MAC Address............................... X.X.X.X

Client Username ................................. XXXXX

AP MAC Address................................... X:X:X:X:X

AP Name.......................................... AP_XX

Client State..................................... Associated

Client NAC OOB State............................. Access

Wireless LAN Id.................................. 2

BSSID............................................ X:X:X:X

Connected For ................................... 350 secs

Channel.......................................... 161

IP Address....................................... X.X.X.X

Association Id................................... 6

Authentication Algorithm......................... Open System

Reason Code...................................... 1

Status Code...................................... 0

Client CCX version............................... No CCX support

Re-Authentication Timeout........................ 82958

Mirroring........................................ Disabled

QoS Level........................................ Silver

802.1P Priority Tag.............................. disabled

WMM Support...................................... Enabled

Power Save....................................... ON

Current Rate..................................... m15

This is enough to force a full re-auth of the client

Apple clients dont support Cisco CCX extensions so Key Caching cant occur, and full re-auth is required, which can cause client to lose connection.

If the client could be forced to keep the WLAN card active when the macbook is on there would be no issue. Seeing as OSX is based on linux, one would assume this would be a possibility to have this available as an option, even if it doesnt exist currently surely it isnt a limitation of the hardware, merely the OS.

Disabling power management on wireless nic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.