Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the apple TV2 play itunes u, audiobooks, or podcasts?

Can the apple TV2 play itunes u, audiobooks, or podcasts? Or can it just display and play music? -Thanks

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:53 PM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2011 9:19 PM in response to nlsilverberg

You could theoretically Airplay any of these to the AppleTV from iTunes provided video was within specs.

When you share your itunes library across the LAN AppleTV should pick up music/TV/movie/music videos and podcasts on the computer. Audible audiobooks cannot be selected on AppleTV due to Audible's licensing but you can play them to AppleTV using 'Airplay' from itunes and AppleTV2 as a speaker. CAn't remebr if there's an audiobook category for non-audible audiobooks but again they should Airplay from iTunes.

If you mean accessing things direct from internet on AppleTV then podcasts should be accessible but I don't think there's an itunes U section currently and no audiobook section I'm aware of.

AC

Dec 14, 2011 9:21 PM in response to nlsilverberg

The question is not as straightforward as you might think as there are several ways to play things on an AppleTV - direct from internet, shared from itunes on LAN, and 'pushed' to AppleTV using Airplay in itunes or an iOS device like iPhone or iPad. Several methods all supporting different things and also for internet content it depends which country you live in in terms of what's available.

AC

Mar 13, 2012 7:02 AM in response to nlsilverberg

I just was able to view an iTunes U file in my Apple TV 2. What I did was drag the .mov file to my desktop out of iTunes U. Then I opened Handbrake and converted the file from .mov to .mp4. Then I dragged the converted file into the movie section of iTunes and accessed it just like a regular movie.

Not too convenient to do all the time but I had a Yale graduate school of business lecture I wanted to watch and not fall asleep so it was worth it!

Can the apple TV2 play itunes u, audiobooks, or podcasts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.