Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[HELP] Lost Mac Partition

Hi, I ran into some problems while trying to expand my boot camp partition.

It wasn't successful, and brought me more problems instead.

I hope that you guys can help me out.

First, I booted into my Mac Snow Leopard, and shrunk my mac partition.

I then booted in my Windows 7 using Boot Camp 3.3, and messed around

with disk management tool, diskpart in elevated command prompt, and

EASEUS partition manager.

I created a new partition (NTFS) in windows 7 disk management tool

in the unallocated space, messed around trying to merge with

my Boot Camp partition, and deleted it.

I tried to extend my Boot Camp partition using EASEUS partition manager,

but it gave me an error and restored my things.

My Mac partition shows as a separate unallocated space from the

real unallocated space.

I created a new partition in the unallocated space using EASEUS,

and tried to merge them. It didn't work, so I deleted the new partition,

and the unallocated space seems to have merged with my Mac partition!

I ended up with these:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So now my Mac OS X is missing, and I do not know how to get it back.

If I try to reboot into my Mac OS X, it will be the grey screen,

but no Apple or loading gear, it will boot into Windows 7 after a while.

The files in my Mac Partition (E: drive) are still intact,

so I hope that someone can guide me to boot into Mac OS X again.

Thanks!

P.S. Those screenshots above shows what I have now...

Macbook Late '09, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 1:15 AM

You should try to start your MacBook with the original DVD that came with the computer, then reinstall Mac OS X on the Mac partition. Do you have a backup of your Mac data, if not first try to backup your files from the Mac partition first then install Mac OS X.

12 replies

Dec 28, 2011 5:45 AM in response to Ong Heng Le

Thanks for the help and sorry for the late reply,

but I still could not get it to work.

I booted my installation disk and got these,

it couldn't find the mac partition, and when I used disk utility

from the installation disk, it says 149gb free space,

as if my mac partition didn't exist.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Is there any way I can get it back?

I only have a few files that I want to backup in the mac partition,

so I can save it in my thumbdrive and do a reinstallation,

but I do not want to lose any files in my Windows partition.

Hope any kind soul can help me, thanks!

Dec 28, 2011 3:14 PM in response to Ong Heng Le

About the only chance you have to fix this is with a command line tool called gdisk. There are linux, Mac OS, and Windows versions. So if you can boot the computer into Windows and install gdisk; or download a linux LiveCD such as Fedora 16 Live CD and while booted off the live cd, install gdisk using yum; or from another hard drive or USB stick that has Mac OS X on it, download and install gdisk.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/files/gptfdisk/0.8.1/gdisk-binaries/

This command:

gdisk -l /dev/disk0

will display the GPT for disk0 (presumably that is the disk in question, based on screen shots). Depending on what that looks like, you may have a very good chance of getting access to your data, or it's going to be a crap shoot and you'll make the problem worse.

Basically you have to see if the GPT contains valid entries. If it does, all you have to do is go to the recovery menu and create a new hybrid MBR. The way Apple hardware will want this is to add partition 3 into the hybrid MBR.

Yes place EFI GPT in the first MBR.

Accept default hex code.

Yes to set bootable flag.

No to protect more partitions.

Then w to write out the new partition table.

However, if the GPT is also missing your Mac OS X partition, you are very likely screwed. But you could guess at what the start and end sectors were for that partition. Apple's Disk Utilty usually starts EFI at sector 40 and ends on sector 49639. The Mac OS partition will start on 409640 and end just before the start sector for the Boot Camp partition. But that end sector for Mac OS doesn't end right where the Windows partition starts - there's usually a 1024 sector gap. So the Mac OS X end sector will be ~1025 sectors less than the start sector for Boot Camp. It's a guess.

Once that has been added. Then you need to make the hybrid MBR.

Then hope for the best.

Or find yourself someone who does dual boot with linux or freebsd a lot, and have them do this for you.

Dec 14, 2012 3:05 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

I've had nearly the same exact issue. I created a bootcamp partition for Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro. I later shrunk my OSX partition size within Mac. I then tried expanding my Windows bootcamp partition into the newly un-alocated space from within Windows using Disk Management. I couldn't figure out how to do it so I called Microsoft tech support. The phone tech controled my computer with remote access, but was also unable to do it. So he then downloaded EaseUS and used it to merge the partitions. After I was off the phone I restarted my Mac to find the Windows & un-alocated partitions were not merged, and even worse, my Mac partition is now listed as un-alocated. I tried restarting in OSX but the Mac partition could not even be seen. Not visible with Disk Repair Utility when my Macbook was hooked up to another computer via target mode either.

My OSX & personal files are all still present and accesible from within Windows but I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot or be visible with target mode so it doesn't seem possible to repair the damage. I've read your instructions above and would first like to confirm this is also the same solution for my issue before any more damage is done. Secondly, before I begin I'd really be more comfortable to have somone that knows what they're doing fix this. What is this issue called exactly? Thank you.

Dec 14, 2012 6:26 PM in response to Timothy Nicholas Jones

Oh, right, you're only able to boot Windows. Those were OS X commands. Grab a copy of gdisk for Windows here. I can't tell you how to launch it on Windows, as I've never used it on Windows. Basically you need to point it to a drive, and you'll find it in interactive mode. r <enter> to get to the recovery menu, and o <enter> to spit out the MBR contents, and p <enter> to spit out the GPT, and q <enter> to quit without making any changes (which those commands don't do anyway). Then copy-paste those results. Again, use andale mono or the results are difficult to read.

[HELP] Lost Mac Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.