Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi (Airport) problems with 1.67Ghz Powerbook

My Powerbook gives me problems on wireless networks. It starts off with a full signal which starts dropping after about 3 - 5 minutes, and then suddenly shoots up again to full and sometimes cuts out completely and then comes back to full signal.

The computer is in the same room as the router and there are no problems with the router as all my other wireless devices work fine, even in different rooms.

Is there maybe a driver or firmware update for the built in airport card that needs updating ?

The computer is a 2005/2006 model Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 2GB DDR, 15" LCD with 80Gb hard drive, airport extreme and running OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1.67Ghz, 2GB

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:27 AM

3 replies

Sep 13, 2012 11:26 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

The problem is not that it won't connect to Wifi but that it is unreliable.

It can connect and work fine for anything between 2 minutes and 1 hour. Sometimes it will completely disconnect and refuse to re-connect for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it will give me full bars and i can use youtube and all without problems.

I have opened it up (WOW massive hassle) and checked the airport card. The antenna was plugged in properly.

Sep 14, 2012 3:51 AM in response to Dougal222

Hello,

Do you have other wireless devices connected to this wireless router?

If you do, then do those devices have the same issues?

I suspect the problem could be related to the channel your wireless router is set on. Try changing the channel to something like 7 or 8. See if that provides you with a solution.

This has happened to me in the past, where the computer would work fine for an hour and then suddenly drop connection. On changing the wireless channel improved my signal.

Best of luck

Wifi (Airport) problems with 1.67Ghz Powerbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.