Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Load GPS log into Aperture : why altitude is lost ?

Hello,

I was trying to get rid of the external programs I used to join GPS information to my photos by replacing them with the "places" function of Aperture.

After a bit of headscratching due to poor results, I found a Feb.2010 discussion where user mvanderbilt posted this :

--- quote ---

This is how I got Aperture 3 to assign correct locations to my photos using a GPX file (in my case, from a Garmin GPS device)

1) Import the GPX track data. You should see a purple line on the Places map.

2) Pick one of the photos in a project for which you know the location.

3) Drag that photo onto the correct spot -- Aperture helps you by showing the difference between the photo time and the GPX time. The clock on either of those devices may be off, or in the wrong timezone, and this first photo placement calibrates the timing for the rest

4) After you choose the location Aperture 3 will ask if you want to assign the locations of the other photos based on time. Click on "assign location" and the rest of the pictures will be placed relative to the location of the photo you located in step 3.

I wish the manual was more clear on this. It took a while to figure out what Aperture was doing, and my photos were often assigned to incorrect locations (but in retrospect, Aperture was doing what I told it to do).

-- unquote --

Well, tried with these instructions and apparently now everything is fine but........ where is the altitude data ?

I mean, my GPS logger duly write in its NMEA0183 file latitude, longitude AND altitude : why Aperture seems to recognize only latitude and longitude and NOT the altitude ?

I am sure of the logger because if I still use GPSPhotolinker all data are correctly transferred so, either I'm still doing something wrong or Aperture do not recognize the information.

Any hint / help ?

Many thanks to everybody & have a nice day.

Marco

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:50 AM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2011 6:21 AM in response to MarcoSan64

Hi Marco,

that is exactly the reason, why I still use JetPhoto or Geotagalog to do the geocoding before I import the images to Aperture. Aperture seems to ignore the altitude in the track files, look at the links to the right side of your post.

You might try to retrieve the altitude from Google maps using the MaperturePro plug-in for reverse geocoding (this plug-in has been discontinued, but this mirror still seems to be working: http://www.downloadplex.com/Mac/Graphic-Apps/Other/Download-maperture-pro-for-ma c_178058.html).

Regards

Léonie

Dec 30, 2011 10:14 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie, thanks for your feedback.

It sounds strange that a sw like Aperture does not handle in full the GPS data : altitude is for sure not a minor information when geotagging a picture !

BTW, I will go back to the "old" way and continue to use an external program to join GPS data to pictures before importing them into the Aperture library.

And I'll keep waiting for a new Aperture release that fixes this bug.

Ah, another thing that I don't like of how the "places" function works is that you need to have a working web connection to match GPS tracks to pictures : one thing is to see the name and the location on a map of where you shoot that photo, another just to match the GPS coordinates to the pictures !

Ciao

Marco

Dec 16, 2012 5:53 PM in response to jgcmac

jgcmac wrote:

Writing the elevation data is quite simple, so I do not understand why Aperture is not able to do it.

Personally I think the best software available out there is Exiftool, and if you want a more user friendly application that uses exiftool and does a good job at geotagging, try photolinker

G'day jgcmac

I've been trialling photolinker to add geotagging data to images before importing into aperture. It's really good however the altitude data won't show up when manually tagging the images. Does this only work if you've got a log file (GPX) from a data logger?

Cheers

Troy

Dec 17, 2012 12:19 AM in response to tjmckay

I've just tried both (manually and gpx log), and I don't see any differences, both hights show in the metadata. At least they do in Aperture 3.2.4 with nikon raw (NEF) and jpeg.

Which format are you using?

You may check if exiftool list the data and check whether the image format is supported

photolinker > help > raw > supported photo file formats

Cheers,

jgc

Load GPS log into Aperture : why altitude is lost ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.