Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore or migrate from Time Machine backup

Hello!

I have an early 2008 (white) Macbook (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OSX 10.6.8) that has been hanging recently, so I decided to restore from my Time Machine backup on my external hard drive - all seems to go well until at around 75% everything hangs or fails (about an hour and a half in, with 25 minutes to go), and this happens whichever backup I choose (latest or earliest), and the same happens if I do a clean install from the Snow Leopard DVD and choose Migration Assistant using a Time Machine Backup...

I've used both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior 4.3 to verify/repair/rebuild the backup disk and both say everything is OK, and when I browse the actual backup folder I can access everything - and yet it just won't restore or migrate the data, hanging or cancelling at the same place every time. I've attached both the installer DVD's report and DiskWarrior's report below...

I've been using the same external for backup on this same Macbook for nearly 4 years and never had a problem with restoring before - any ideas how I can track down the problem? It started hanging ever since I installed EasyTether Lite so I could tether my Android phone, but had since removed it when I no longer needed it...but this didn't prevent the hanging, hence the decision to restore...

file:///Users/Sessyness/Desktop/Installer%20Log%2014-Dec-2011.txt

file:///Users/Sessyness/Desktop/Time%20Machine%20Backups%20Report.pdf

Cheers in advance!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:58 PM

Sounds like it might be a hardware problem. Try running this: Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test. Run the Extended tests(that may take an hour or so, depending on how much RAM you have). Write down any error code(s) it shows.

10 replies

Dec 16, 2011 4:51 AM in response to Pondini

Hi Pondini, cheers for the reply!

I did an extensive hardware test and it reported all was fine, 'no trouble found' (took an hour and 15). I'm starting to assume the trouble lies somewhere with the backup folder, despite Disk Utility and Disk Warrior telling me all is fine. I probably should have mentioned that I'm able to do a clean install absolutely fine (that's what I'm running on now), it's just trying to restore/migrate from the backup that seems to cause problems... I'm seeing an Apple Genius today so I'll see what he suggests.

PS your guides have been invauable to me so far, so thanks again for those as well!

Dec 16, 2011 8:30 AM in response to shunsbridge

There must be a problem with a file, that Disk Utility/Disk Warrior can't catch (they only look at the directory, etc., structure, not the actual files).

One thing you might be able to do is retry the full system restore, per #14 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions. As noted near the bottom, you can display the Install Log while it's running; that probably won't show the file it's choking on, but it does show what section was being restored at the time. That can help in two ways:

First, assuming it's somewhere in a User folder (since Apps and System folders are the first things restored), you can install a fresh version of OSX and get it running.

Second, since you have a general idea where the problem is, you can log on to the affected user account and do selective restores of files in that area and beyond.

Dec 16, 2011 9:46 AM in response to Pondini

I have the Installer Log from the failed migration attempt (the only time it didn't hang) and there are various errors beginning with this Fatboy Slim album...

User uploaded file

...But there are more, so as you suggest I might retry a restore with a log and see exactly where it's hanging - I presume even if I can narrow down the errant file though, it's going to be a case of restoring everything manually rather than holding out for a successful restore, as I can't tell it to 'leave out' files for restoring can I?

Dec 16, 2011 10:05 AM in response to shunsbridge

Aha! Error -36 is an I/O error, usually indicating some sort of problem with the content of the file (although it could be any of a number of other things).

One workaround is to have Migration Assistant omit the contents of the Music sub-folder in the affected user home folder.

Just how to do that depends on where you are:

How many user accounts are on the backups?

Do you have any working user accounts now (ie, can you log on to your system and use it)? If so, were any of them transferred?

Dec 16, 2011 10:52 AM in response to Pondini

Just the one user account on the backup, the one mentioned in the log!

And I'm logged onto my system now with a new account, fresh from a clean install of the Snow Leopard DVD - so nothing from the original backup...

I forgot you can omit things with Migration Assistant! Hopefully that's the answer and I won't have to spend hours resetting all my app and system preferences manually!

I should probably have the log thoroughly checked first to pinpoint other things... any experts want to volunteer if I can give them a DropBox link? 🙂 I have no idea what some of the 'crashes' mean on it...

Thanks again for your help - much better than what I got from the "Genius"!

Dec 16, 2011 11:08 AM in response to shunsbridge

shunsbridge wrote:

Just the one user account on the backup, the one mentioned in the log!

And I'm logged onto my system now with a new account, fresh from a clean install of the Snow Leopard DVD - so nothing from the original backup...

Ah, good.

Here's what you need to do: Create another (temporary) Admin user account. Log off the first one, and on to the new one, and delete the first one (and if there's a partial transferred account, delete it, too).

(This is necessary to maintain the transferred account's permission to the backups. The pink box in Problems after using Migration Assistant has an explanation.)

Then try Migration Assistant again, but select only that user account, and omit the Music sub-folder (it will transfer folder but not the contents). See Using Migration Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard if necessary.

If it fails again, see if you can find the new culprit in the log. If so, delete the transfrerred account and re-transfer it, omitting both the Music folder and the new one.

Once you get all you can, run MA again to get your Apps and other files, but omit the user account.

Log on to the transferred account, and use the "Star Wars" Time Machine display to selectively restore the contents of the Music folder (not the folder itself) and any others you had to exclude. That will probably fail on the same item(s), so you may have to do it in pieces, to avoid the problem(s).

That should get you 99.9% back to normal.

Dec 19, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Pondini

All back to normal! Huge sigh of relief... Must have been the files mentioned in the MA log, as when I chose to migrate everything while omitting the music folder, everything ported across seamlessly.

I don't really know what the moral of the story is, apart from that I was very lucky that the only files hindering the backup were a couple of Fatboy Slim tracks that were easily omitted!

I'll definitely think again before relying on a backup of a system that wasn't running great in the first place though - the signs were there (always hanging when iTunes was playing, and whenever my iTunes screensaver kicked in), and I'll definitely be keeping older backups for this very reason - if everything had become corrupted I would have been in a lot of trouble!

Cheers for all your help Pondini.

Dec 19, 2011 12:40 PM in response to shunsbridge

shunsbridge wrote:

All back to normal! Huge sigh of relief...

Yes, I'll bet! 🙂

Glad to hear it, and thanks for the feedback.

I'll definitely think again before relying on a backup of a system that wasn't running great in the first place though

Yup. I don't know if the problem could have been found otherwise, but it's always best to try that before employing the "nuclear" option. 😉

Cannot restore or migrate from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.