Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Christmas present headache!

I am giving my mother a wi fi only ipad for Christmas and have also got her an Airport Express to provide a network. What I want to be able to do is to set up the Airport before I send her the whole package (becasue she is scared of technology) but I am having trouble doing this. She has a wifi enabled imac at home but does not have a wireless router. Every time I try and configure the Airport Express to just act as a wifi conduit from the imac it tells me that no ethernet cable is attached! I had an old Airport extreme which was configured to do just this thing but it seems that I can't set the new model up without connecting it to an ethernet cable.

If I were to connect and set Airport up via ethernet would her computer be able to read the configuration?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:27 AM

1 reply

Dec 15, 2011 10:58 AM in response to perthshireite

The most likely proper configuration of the new AirPort Express Base Station (AX) would be as a bridge. I would suspect that it will be connected to her wired router by Ethernet and that she will be using the AX to provide the wireless network for all of her wireless clients.

You can mimic this by first connecting the AX to one of the LAN ports on your router and then configure it for a bridge using the AirPort Utility.

Christmas present headache!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.