Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unzip files to specific location?

So I've used OSX personally for the last 5 years or so, but this functionality isn't something I've needed until recently.

I just finally got an iMac here at work, and when I download files from our stock art service, I used to always just extract the files to a location on the work server, rather than my computer (where the zip file would save to a temp folder). Now I can either save both the zip and decompressed file to the same folder, and later delete the zip file manually (waste of time) or save the zip to my downloads folder, decompress it, and manually move it to the location it needs to be on the server (waste of time). Leaving the zip file in the location on the server is not really an option. Space on the server is at a premium, wasting space on unnecessary zip files would be quite frowned upon.

I work at a newspaper, a small newspaper, and efficiency is of the essence. After 3 years, my boss finally got me a Mac, and this is one of a very few things that I dislike about OSX compared to Windows. If there's something I'm missing, or another app for decompressing zip files which gives me this ability, please let me know!

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:26 AM

5 replies

Unzip files to specific location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.