Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two glitches with iMessage.

I've found two glitches in iOS 5.0.1, affecting both iPhone and iPad.

First, when I restore an iOS device, whether it is my iPhone 4 or iPad, from either iCloud or from iTunes, the device successfully puts back all of my data, settings, et al. However, when using iMessage, there is a bug with the "Caller ID" setup.

Normally, iMessage will append the "Caller ID" that is selected (either phone # or e-mail address) in the Settings > iMessage > Receive At > Caller ID section. This works fine until the device is restored from a backup, and will use the bottom-most "Caller ID" return address rather than the one selected.

For example, on my iPhone, I have my phone # as well as three e-mail addresses as the "Caller ID" return addresses. I had my phone # selected as the default before and after the restore of the device. When I send a new iMessage after restore, it sends it out not with the Caller ID of my phone number but the bottom-most address in the list. Therefore, when the recipient receives my iMessage, it comes from joeblow@domain.com rather than +1234567890.

If I look in settings, the correct Caller ID is selected, however, it will continue to use the bottom-most address in the list.

As a workaround, I tried turning off iMessage and turning it back on again--it doesn't fix it. The only temporary workaround that I have managed to find is going in to Settings > iMessage > Caller ID and select a different address, then select the one you originally wanted as the Caller ID. This seems to "refresh" the list and append the correct return address (ex. phone number) to the outgoing iMessage.

I've managed to replicate this on my iPad, as well as my wife's iPad. I always use my iCloud e-mail address as the default but have several other addresses listed in there. There does not appear to be any difference in how this glitch affects the iPhone or iPad--it affects both.

Second, I also notice that after restore, the iPad was able to easily send to another iMessage e-mail address yet unable to send to an iMessage phone # after restoring the iOS device. In other words, after restoring the iPad, I am able to send iMessages to another iMessage "e-mail address" yet sending to a iMessage "phone #" appears to be hobbled until I turn off iMessage and turn it back on again.

I have submitted feedback to Apple about this issue. http://www.apple.com/feedback

iPhone 4, iOS 5, White

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:07 AM

There are no replies.

Two glitches with iMessage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.